General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

little help please

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 08:00 PM
Default little help please

I have a 97 honda accord DX 2.2L non-vtec. The O2 sensor, Evap system, and Catalyst test on the emissions test never go to ready. I have cleared the 8 different test and did the drive test and had a scanner hooked up and the 8 different check were ready except the 3 listed above.
The technician said what could be happening is every time I take my foot off the gas petal the O2 sensor resets or the ECU is bad. Could the gas petal be resetting the O2 sensor and if a ECU go's bad would it only effect 3 test and nothing else also how would I even test these? I have tried adding sea foam into the gas tank.
I had the transmission replaced and it kept giving an check engine light. They hooked up a really nice snap-on scanner and said the light would not come back on again (don't know if they fixed the problem or turned off that part of the ECU). The light works fine I have had a check engine light after but can you turn off some of the sensors test from the ECU?
Sorry so long just wanted all the facts included to get a more informed response.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:30 PM
Super Moderator

When the check engine light turned on, what code were you getting?

Old 04-23-2014, 10:48 PM

when it came on after the transmission replacement it was for an O2 sensor.( I did replace both of them) The last time it was for a mass air flow cleaned the air filter and it took care of it and that was like 4 months ago.

Old 04-24-2014, 03:01 AM

Your car doesn't have a mass air flow sensor and even if it does, cleaning the air filter wouldn't fix the issue.

How is the temperature gauge of your car ? Does it appear to be lower than usual ? I'm wondering if maybe your thermostat might be stuck open which would cause your car to run too cold which wouldn't allow your car to go into closed loop operation.

Check the 7.5 radio/backup fuse and see if it's blown.

Old 04-24-2014, 06:11 AM

Sorry about that it was the map sensor on top of the throttle body. The temp gauge stays between the 1st and 2nd mark after the engine warms up. It starts out at the bottom then rises slowly. It has been like this scene i have owed the car. The fuse is good. I also tested the it to make sure power was running to the fuse and it is only when the car is on. The temp sensor has a ground when the car is off and when it is turned on however the sensor has power only when the car is on. After checking these I tried to start the car up and an error code of P0117 came up and the car did not start. I knocked off one of the spark plug wires so i reconnected it and the car started up. I deleted the code and and turn the car off and on ten times and the error code did not show up again. A drive test was done and the same 3 systems didnt go to ready. I got new thermostat but cant install it until tomorrow.

Last edited by 5star; 04-25-2014 at 02:00 AM.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:42 PM

I installed a new thermostat and the car didn't have an old one in it. The guy before me guess never put one in. So do you have any other ideas on what could be making the three systems not ready? Because even with the new thermostat the O2 sensor, Evap system, and Catalyst test never become ready. I don't know if this issue is related but i noticed that after it is warmed up the RPMs revs up then falls back down just to rev back up and it doses this in park or neural.

Last edited by 5star; 04-26-2014 at 07:14 AM.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator

The rev issue, sounds like you might have ait in the cooling system after you replaced the t-stat. I would try bleeding the system.

Old 04-27-2014, 06:00 AM

poorman212 It was doing the revving before the replacement of the t-stat but I will do it on Tuesday and let you know how it goes. Thank you

Old 04-27-2014, 06:35 AM

just crack open the bleeder bolt and close it in a few seconds when coolant comes out in a steady stream

it may take a few drive cycles to ready it up

Old 04-27-2014, 07:44 AM
Super Moderator

Ok, if the issue was there before it might not be air in the system but please verify/check.

You might want to clean the IACV to see if this will help the rev issue.

How much driving have you done since replacing the t-stat?

I forget the "drive cycles" to set the readiness. I'm guessing that without the t-stat the ECU never saw the engine temps right to go into "closed" loop. Now that you have the t-stat in there, after the proper "drive cycles" they should set.