Go Back   Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums > General > General Tech Help
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to the Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-10-2012, 10:09 PM

Default Replaced remote/key on 06 accord

I just replaced the remote and key to my 06 accord, I bought the key from an online. I had key cut by the dealer and programed the remote to open and close the door but the key will not turn on the car. Did I forget a step?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Honda Accord Forum!
Old 07-10-2012, 10:32 PM
Super Moderator

The car has the Immobilizer, so any new keys must be programmed into the ECM/PCM by the dealer for it start the car. The remote programming to open and close the doors is different than programming for the Immobilizer system.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:35 PM

Thanks for the for the info, I take to the dealer
Old 07-11-2012, 08:04 AM
Newest Of Newbies

A good locksmith can do it as well, and it will be cheaper to have it done by a Locksmith not to mention it should be faster. The keys themselves are expensive and so is the programming, be prepared for sticker shock. Also, seeing as how you will be paying for the programming anyway you might want to buy an additional key at the same time.

When I bought my Honda the only key that came with it was broken. The key's blade would actually flop around on and detach from the plastic remote part. Holding the key blade in place with that silly little screw is insanity on Honda's part, but that's another story. I do not recall the total price for the key and programming but it was over $100, something like a hundred and a half as best as I can remember.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator

so you went to the dealer and they cut the key but didn't ask you if you wanted it programed??? unless the locksmith you go to has the HDS system with proper software they won't be able to do it. MAKE sure you bring all the keys to the dealer you want programed, otherwise the ones they don't assign won't start the car and it doesn't sound like your dealer has the sharpest tools in the shed
Old 07-11-2012, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator

The 7th generation Accord (2003-2007) have the Type 4 Immobilizer System, most locksmiths cannot program Type 4 Immobilizer Systems.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drivability View Post
so you went to the dealer and they cut the key but didn't ask you if you wanted it programed??? unless the locksmith you go to has the HDS system with proper software they won't be able to do it. MAKE sure you bring all the keys to the dealer you want programed, otherwise the ones they don't assign won't start the car and it doesn't sound like your dealer has the sharpest tools in the shed
+1
Correct!
Also...the transponder/remote key for that Accord is like $60 bucks plus programming. We normally charge 1.0 labor ($105.00)...but all the local dealers are coming down on this. Realistically it should be a .5 job.

A little more info here.
Honda Mall of Georgia Serving Buford, GA, New, Used Cars - Honda Transponder Keys

If your in Atlanta...i can take care of ya
Old 07-31-2012, 03:50 PM

Can one remove the immobilizer from the original damaged key case to a replacement case without involving the dealer. The dealer has laser cut the replacement key blank and the 4 button transmitter is in the new case.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator

yes, it's a goofy little chip stuck in a blob of glue inside the case...DONT damage it!!!!!!!
Old 07-31-2012, 04:11 PM

Tags
06, 08, 2003, accord, car, honda, immobilizer, key, program, programing, remote, replacement, start, system, turn