General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stripped threads on oil pan. Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 08:08 AM
Default Stripped threads on oil pan. Please Help!

Hi all,

I have a 2006 Accord V6, and this weekend I truly learned my lesson to never to go to Jiffy Lube because some idiot or idiots stripped the threads on my oil pan. I was taking my car to Jiffy Lube for the last three years for oil changes but now I will never go back. To make a long story short and I know most of you heard this story before. Basically jiffy lube stripped the threads on my oil pan, and even though there taking full responsibility and will reimburse me for the repairs, I’m very hesitate to go this route because I don’t know how long it will take Jiffy lube to reimburse me. I’m most likely have to deal with their corporate office and what not and god knows how long that will take with the hassle.

So Jiffy Lube installed one of those Molly Toggle plugs because there really wasn’t any other option on a Sunday evening. How durable is that plug guys? Does anyone know how long it will last me? I was doing some research and I know the best route is to replace the entire oil pan but I really want to avoid that if possible, but if I have to replace the oil pan, how hard is it and how long will it take? Do I remove any exhaust piping or parts in order to remove the oil pan? I was looking at the Fram Sure Drain Valve and Fumoto Valve which are both similar products. Do you guys think this will work on my car? Or should I just take the car to a shop to have them rethread the oil pan drain hole and put a bigger size drain plug? I don’t even think that’s possible because the plug is mounted on the corner and I don’t think I can go any larger. Please help as I really don’t know which route to take.

Thank you all!

Old 09-30-2014, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I have used a Fumoto valve on Subaru Forester due to awkward location of drain inside lower cover. It worked fine and has a positive locking action to prevent possibility of accidental actuation. This will require some good threads to install. It is not a "repair plug".

There are repalr plugs which basically tap a slightly oversized hole.

It may be possible to install a thread insert to repair the damaged threads. The shallow depth of threads may be a complication for this type of repair (too shallow for insert).

There are options to not replace the pan. One of simplest is to tap/cut new threads for an ovesize plug.

good luck

Old 09-30-2014, 08:47 AM

Thank you! But how durable is that Molly Toggle Plug they installed? Do you know how long it will last? I just need to know how much time I have. Don't want to be stranded somewhere.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:51 AM

Is "moly toggle plug" a wall anchor? If yes, I would be concerned about whether this will hold. You need a permanent repair asap.

good luck

Old 09-30-2014, 10:30 AM

Its similar to a wall anchor but it has a rubber seal which seals the drain plug hole as you tighten it. Once tighten, the rubber seal presses itself in the hole. I'm worried if that rubber seal is durable enough to withstand the heat from the oil pan. I'll look into a permanent repair.

Thanks!

Old 09-30-2014, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by devinzmax
Its similar to a wall anchor but it has a rubber seal which seals the drain plug hole as you tighten it. Once tighten, the rubber seal presses itself in the hole. I'm worried if that rubber seal is durable enough to withstand the heat from the oil pan. I'll look into a permanent repair.

Thanks!
Compared to other parts of the engine, the oil pan is one of the coolest.

Old 09-30-2014, 11:45 AM

Didn't know that! Thanks! Everyday this week I'm checking how the rubber is holding up, and so far so good. I'm seriously getting it repaired this weekend.

Thank you all!

Old 10-01-2014, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator

Since Jiffy Lube will reimburse you for the repair, the Honda dealer can repair it with a Time-Sert thread repair kit. It is a Honda recommended procedure.

Not cheap; but, cheaper and faster than oil pan replacement. But, if Jiffy Lube is will to pay for an oil pan...

Attached Thumbnails Stripped threads on oil pan. Please Help!-time-sert.jpg  
Old 10-01-2014, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator

I did a Time-Sert repair on the spark plug threads of my neighbor's 2002 Accord EX; that was three or four years ago and the car still runs well.

Old 10-01-2014, 12:09 PM

Time-sert is a good repair option, and better than oil pan replacement IMO. This restores original thread size and allows standard oil pan bolt to be used. You could replace the oil pan and wind up w/ an oil pan leak you now don't have. Nice to know they make a thread repair kit for oil pans.

good luck

Quick Reply: Stripped threads on oil pan. Please Help!