General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stripped threads on oil pan. Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 04:56 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by devinzmax
Didn't know that! Thanks! Everyday this week I'm checking how the rubber is holding up, and so far so good.
I'm seriously getting it repaired this weekend. Thank you all!
More repairs? What - why? Just keep going to Jiffy Lube for your future oil services ...
if, if their repair fails you have iron-clad link to J-L's work for repair/full replacement.

Last edited by UhOh; 10-02-2014 at 05:02 AM.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:04 AM

Thank you all! This is really good info. I'm going to call my nearest Honda dealer and find out how much a time-sert repair cost. I'm sure it's way cheaper than a new oil pan with labor cost. I'm just worried they would say, "sorry, we don't do time-sert repairs on an oil pan". If that happens, I have to find a good mechanic that will do it without trying to nickel and dime me to replace the oil pan.

Thank you all!

Old 10-02-2014, 04:43 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

oh forget that just search eric the car guy and Honda/Acura oil pan repair. it works but don't fudge it up again

Old 10-03-2014, 06:44 AM

Thanks for the vid, but it seems like the drain plug bolt is stripped in this situation? The threads are stripped on the oil pan itself for my situation. I think if I put a longer bolt (like how EricTheCarGuy did) it really wouldn't make a difference because there is no threads on the oil pan drain hole for it grab onto.

Old 10-07-2014, 10:01 AM

So as an update, I decided to call a couple Honda dealers to find out more info/options on repairs. It turns out they do not offer the Time Sert Option because its not a Honda repair option and they will not perform a repair like that. Then I asked how much it would be to replace the oil pan, and they told me it would be in the range of 450-600 bucks. They also told me that the sub-frame will need to be remove in order for the oil pan to be replaced. Which means it could take close to 6-8 hours for this job, and a wheel alignment is needed afterwards.
Does the sub-frame needs to be removed in order for the oil pan to be replaced? I find this very odd because only one Honda dealer told me this and the others I called didn't. Please advise.

Thank you!

Old 10-07-2014, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Shop manual indicates that oil pan can be removed w/o removing subframe.

I would explore some options besides Honda to get the time-sert repair. Machine shops are good, but they frequently want the pan in the hands to do the job . A good auto repair service is best bet. Check around auto parts stores and friends for reccomendations

good luck

Old 10-07-2014, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Shop manual indicates that oil pan can be removed w/o removing subframe.

I would explore some options besides Honda to get the time-sert repair. Machine shops are good, but they frequently want the pan in the hands to do the job . A good auto repair service is best bet. Check around auto parts stores and friends for reccomendations

good luck
By buying the Time-Sert tool this is a DIY kind of job.

Old 10-07-2014, 03:50 PM

ok.. Thank you all!

Old 10-07-2014, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator

What I previously posted was an excerpt from a March 2005 Honda Service News article.

You can also read in this other link of people stating Honda dealers that use Timesert for the repair.

Time Sert Oil Pan - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums

Old 10-08-2014, 11:21 AM

Thank you for the post! As an update, I found one Honda dealer that will do the Time Sert repair for $130 (new oil not included). Do you think that's a good price? I also found a general repair shop that's willing to do the time sert, but he needs to see the damage first. He did mentioned using a self threading plug with a piggy back plug behind it. Once installed, you just need to remove the piggy-back plug/bolt to drain the oil. What do guys think of this plug? Should I go with the time sert from Honda or the Piggy-back drain plug from the general shop guy? See below for the piggy-back drain plug pic.

Quick Reply: Stripped threads on oil pan. Please Help!