General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Brakes and Brake Pedal Won't Decompress

Old 03-29-2011, 08:16 AM
Exclamation Brakes and Brake Pedal Won't Decompress

I have been using my girlfriend's car to drive around for work. This morning, as I got back in it, the brake pedal was still hugging the floor. I tapped it with my foot to see if it just needed a bump to return, but it held firm. I had to wiggle my foot between it and the floor, and pull it all the way back up (it gave a lot of resistance). As soon as I took my foot out, it pressed itself all the way back to the floor. It has been almost four hours and still no change. I pull it back up with my foot but it instantly presses itself back down, engaging the brakes. I am not very mechanical, and would like to hear some ideas on what it may be, as well as if someone like me could DIY. I believe it's a '94 EX model. Hope to hear from anyone soon, we really need this car for jobs and school and I don't want my girlfriend trying to drive it like this. Thanks.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

Does it actually engage the brakes? Or is the pedal on the floor but the brakes are not applied?

If the brakes are not applied, then it sounds like the brake hydraulic system has air in it. Bleed the brakes.

If the brakes ARE actually applied, then maybe the pushrod (between the brake pedal & MC) is not adjusted properly.

Because you said you're not very mechanical, I gotta ask if you're planning to try this yourself or take it to a shop?

Old 03-29-2011, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Does it actually engage the brakes? Or is the pedal on the floor but the brakes are not applied?

If the brakes are not applied, then it sounds like the brake hydraulic system has air in it. Bleed the brakes.

If the brakes ARE actually applied, then maybe the pushrod (between the brake pedal & MC) is not adjusted properly.

Because you said you're not very mechanical, I gotta ask if you're planning to try this yourself or take it to a shop?
The brakes are applied. I just moved to MT and don't have any tools besides a limited ratchet set, so as much as I'd like to do it myself, I will probably have to take it in. Any ideas as to what causes this?

Old 03-29-2011, 09:39 AM

Perhaps the return spring is fried?

Check the brake fluid level.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator

If the push=rod from the brake pedal is incorrect (adjusted too long) then it can open the valve to activate the vacuum assist - which presses the brake pedal down. You'll want a shop that knows Hondas so they don't just do a "this looks OK" type of repair. They need to know the actual measurements. There's a procedure where they remove the master cylinder, & use a special gauge tool to measure the push-rod coming out of the MC. Then transfer that measurement to the booster while they adjust the pedal height off the floor.

People can get their brakes into this kind of mess if they decide they want the pedal higher off the floor, & simply lengthen the pushrod. Yours may have just come loose & the adjustment barrel turned one way or the other.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:20 AM

I checked the fluid level, and it was fine (until I accidentally drained a teeny bit, I told you I'm no mechanic).
When I checked the pedal, it had decompressed back to its regular spot. I was able to push it down and have it return (albeit slower than usual) without any problems. However, as soon as I started the car, it compressed itself all the way down to the floor again without any sort of help from me, just as it was this morning when it first acted up. So what does it sound like to you all? A bushing, master cylinder, a proportioning valve, etc? I would like to get some sort of idea before I take it in to a mechanic.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:24 AM

Possible vacum line check vavle to booster. clamp the line after check vave. you will have no power brakes. but everthing else should return to normal if thats the problem. Be very careful. brakes will be very hard to apply but will return as they previously did not.

Last edited by Old Honda Dude; 03-29-2011 at 10:27 AM.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:31 AM

Thanks for the suggestions.
Since I don't have any tools I will end up having to take it in to a mechanic. (Not that I trust myself to work on something like a brake system anyway) You've all been very helpful, I appreciate it.