General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Switch-Brake Pedal on '93 Accord

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 06:45 PM
Default Brake Switch-Brake Pedal on '93 Accord

Howdy Folks!

Newbie - please be gentle.

We have 2 '93 Accord SEs that are nearly identical. There's 175 k miles on one and 193 k on the other. They have been great vehicles.

Last night, our daughter found her car with a dead battery and the brake lights on. Her boyfriend came and jumped it and found that the brake light switch was staying on. He was able to adjust the brake light switch to turn it off. He inspected it more closely later and found that there is a hole in the brake pedal arm that should have a rubber bumper in it. This bumper opens the switch and allows it to close when the pedal is depressed.

I am physically prevented (age and arthritis) from getting to the brake pedal arm on the other car to see the problem for myself. I could feel the assembly with my fingers and have a mental image of the rubber bumper placement relative to the switch; however I can't actually see it. I've searched several online catalogs for a picture of the configuration, and the repair manual that I have on CD, without success.

Can anyone give me a part name or a part number or even a better description of the parts involved? I'm uncertain whether the switch is bad or there is just a rubber bumper body part that I need. I suspect that if one failed the other is near the same point and needs intervention.

I really don't enjoy paying the exorbitant prices that dealers charge for such information, parts, and service. Something that should be less than $50 will, no doubt, move up to $150 if I have to go there.

TIA

Old 07-25-2010, 07:28 PM
Supper Moderator

Well welcome to the forums and nice to see some more cb7s still livin out there...I try and do some research for ya and see if I can’t help you out. I have had 3 cb7s and never had this prob. be4 so I’m not sure where to start. Jimblake is a awesome source of info so if I can’t find your answer I’m sure he can...he is fosho a man when it comes to diagrams and such. If you don’t see him post something up try and PM him I’m sure he will help you out he’s a good guy. Good luck on you find and I will try also

Old 07-25-2010, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator

hondapartsnow.com or majestic honda have parts diagrams. That switch is #18.

18 36750-SE0-013 SWITCH ASSY., STOP & CRUISE (TEC) JPN 1 $59.07 $42.82

Old 07-25-2010, 09:32 PM

Thanks a lot, PAhonda!

I don't know how I managed to overlook "Pedal" to find the diagram and part numbers. Everything is on order now.

Thank you again!

Old 07-25-2010, 11:00 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

don't order # 18 ,,that 's the brake switch ,,, you do not need that,, all you need is the plug that goes to the brake pedal at end of brake switch to keep plunger from coming all the way out, as if brake pedal was depressed , dealer cost is about 2 dollars

looks like # 25..,,,

Old 07-26-2010, 01:22 PM

Thanks, deserthonda!

I saw that the bumper pad was #25 in the diagram. I ordered 2 of them suspecting that the second Accord is likely to need it soon. I also ordered the brake light switch (and paid a premium price compared with other sources, but majestic has been a good supplier in the past).

I searched for brake light issues before posting, but my search abilities must be wanting because I didn't find a hit. I will revisit the DIY forum.

Thanks again.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:27 PM
Default hey

you dont even really need to order anything FYI. Just get a bolt and screw put it in the gap on the brake arm and your good to go!!! mIne did the same thing one day the lil plug just dried and shattered all over the place leavning my brake lights on.But it works without haveing to spend extra money on a small insignificant plug

Money in Your pocket

Old 07-26-2010, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator

I've replaced a few of these plugs...saw the post and knew the answer almost right away. I would only use the "nut and bolt" to get by. Having the proper contact between the brake switch and the pedal can cause cruise control issues...ps if any of the accords you own have three pedals, there is one of these on the clutch pedal-you can see the same #25 in the diagram. The $2 for the correct plug is the best way to go.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:36 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by Hondaboy45
you dont even really need to order anything FYI. Just get a bolt and screw put it in the gap on the brake arm and your good to go!!! mIne did the same thing one day the lil plug just dried and shattered all over the place leavning my brake lights on.But it works without haveing to spend extra money on a small insignificant plug

Money in Your pocket
that plug is only about 2 dollars if that,,,,it lasts at least 10 years and than some ......i'd say,,,,,,,, best value for your money......drink 1 less beer, or soda in the next 10 years and you make up for it ..

And by the way ,,the plug is very significant, without it , it could leave you stranded with a dead battery if you do not notice it, brake lites would always stay on

Old 04-26-2011, 11:59 AM

Where can you ordet or purchase the brake switch plug?

Quick Reply: Brake Switch-Brake Pedal on '93 Accord