General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alignment issue and transmission leak?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 09:58 PM
Default Alignment issue and transmission leak?

OK, I have a 2001 Accord, just past 200,000 miles (please please hold the applause). She runs fine, have been doing my own work for the past 2 years although it's time for another timing belt which I'll have someone who knows what they're doing take care of.

I have 2 issues.

About 7 months ago I had new tires and an alignment done. About a week later I noticed a pull to the right (never did it before). I took it back to the place I had it done and they said the alignment is fine. The pull is still there and is getting more noticeable as time has gone on. I'm in PA and due for yearly inspection so I figured I'd get an alignment again, this time by someone I think is more qualified. Do you guys think it is an actual alignment issue or something else?

Second issue is during the last oil change about a week ago I noticed some fluid under the car, I think it's the crank case/transmission but not sure. If you're under the car and the oil pan is on your left it's the big silver metal thing on the right (pretty technical term I know), looks like where two pieces connect and are bolted together, is this the transmission? and it's leaking from the seam, I'm assuming there is a gasket in there and after 200K miles it might be time to replace it, what do you all think?

At 200K she runs fine, still get about 30mpg atlhough I went from driving 100 mile roundtrip a day to 24 so I've cut down on miles considerably.

I"m thinking if I do the timing belt/water pump, get that seal fixed I should be good for another 100K, what do you think on that too?

Old 05-26-2009, 03:14 AM
Super Moderator

Your pull can be due to alignment or worn suspension component.

As for the leak, you are describing where the transmission bolts to the engine block. The flywheel is housed in there. There shouldn't be any fluid in there.

You should try to identify the source of the leak which may come from above that point. If there is oil on top of transmission, then likely sources are the distributor or v-tec solenoid (If you accord is an EX).

If you can't find the source, the rear main seal may be the source of the leak and that repair is expensive, since the transmission needs to be removed to replace that seal.

Old 05-26-2009, 02:36 PM

The guy that did the alignment showed me the computer printout which said it was aligned, so I'm guessing I'll have to look at the suspension.

The leak is right at the bottom of that silver mass, it's not a leak but sort of oozing a bit right of the bottom where the two pieces of metal are bolted together. That whole section is where the transmission is housed?

Old 05-26-2009, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator

The transmission is housed on the passenger side of the engine bay. The transmission stops below the distributor, where is is bolted to the engine block.

Oil will flow downhill and may appear to be oozing from between the transmission and engine block.

Make sure that the oil leak isn't coming from something simple to replace like the distributor or v-tec solenoid.