General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

alignment and struts

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 06:03 PM
Default alignment and struts

My gf has a 2k2 civic (i know it's an accord forum, but i hope u can help). Recently she had her struts replaced and was instructed to get an alignment. She decided to go to pep boys (i argued not to go here). She gets a call and is told that due to the new struts they were unable to align the car properly. They claim the person who took the struts off, when putting the tie rods in didn't properly due so. Do the tie rods even need to come off? They want to charge 171.00 to take both tie rods out and reposition them.

Also when we got the car back there was a noise. It was the plate touching the rotor. This was not there before, but they claim it was when they test drove the vehicle. This problem was simply fixed by bending the plate...why didn't they just do that themselves?

Questions:
1. So if they noticed a problem right off the bat why did they even bother to do an alignment, if they can't properly do so?
2. When replacing struts do the tie rods need to be removed?
3. Do new struts make it so the tie rods would be misaligned?
4. Also how is this an issue (they claim tie rods are on the last threads) but they don't appear to be

Am I being cynical or are they trying to make a quick buck off of my girlfriend? If so what recourse do we have to get her money back for an alignment that was never done properly.

Old 06-01-2007, 08:43 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: alignment and struts

There is no reason to remove the tie rods to install struts. Its a simple removal and install involving about 6 bolts. Sounds like some BS to me. Take it somewhere else.

Old 06-02-2007, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator

2002 Civic (unlike Accord) has McPherson struts. When replacing them, you DO need an alignment. And the tie rod bolts to that arm facing away in the picture, partly hidden by the spring perch, so it has to be un-done when replacing the strut.

The other stuff sounds bogus...

Brake backing plate bent - they could have done that, or maybe they're telling the truth. I can't tell from here.

If the struts were the correct fitment for her car, that should NOT have resulted in the tie rods being extended all the way. You could have another shop do the alignment & see whether they say the same thing.

Old 06-05-2007, 02:48 PM

So we took the car to sears. Showed them the explanation of what was wrong with the vehicle and their recommendations. The tech was completely confused after reading the explanation. He told us from what they said (pep boys) the wheels should have either been pointing inwards or outwards, which they were not. The guy took the car and did the alignment in exactly 38 minutes and got everything into spec.

After this we took the alignment sheet to pep boys where they quickly refunded our money. I was completely surprised by this and thought they'd say we have xx time into the car and need to get something out of it. My gf got a cash refund, but no apology...which really irked me. They looked so guilty when we first came in and then when we had proof you would have thought they would have said sorry or we will talk to that tech. But no, nothing.

Despite getting a full refund, we are considering contactiong BAR. They used scare tactics on my gf such as "the car is unsafe to drive". She was to the point where she was going to do the 171.00 worth of labor (readjusting tie rods). She was also told the tie rods were "on the last threads". It just seems like something they may do to unsuspecting customers or possibly this particular tech just does not know how to do an alignment? Either way something more should be done besides a refund to put an end to customers overpaying in labor, don't you think? Or should we just call it quits and leave BAR out of it?

Old 06-05-2007, 03:00 PM

What is BAR?

Old 06-05-2007, 06:41 PM

Bureau of Automotive Repair

http://www.autorepair.ca.gov/stdhome.asp

Old 06-05-2007, 06:45 PM

I'd report them. F*ck em. You're not going to get anything else out of them since you already got a refund. In any event, even if they gave you somethin, would you want them workin on yours / her car anyway?

Old 06-05-2007, 07:29 PM

True true. And if enough complaints come in maybe they will investigate their records or even do some secret shoppers. I'd just really like for the tech named "Ed" to get reprimanded in some way.

Old 06-05-2007, 08:11 PM

First off ill start by saying that I work as an Automotive Technician for a Ford dealer in Cincinnati, OH. So when I started reading this I tried someway to defend Pep Boy'sactions but couldn't. I have done hundreds of alignments and know for a factthat whole thing about the tie rods being put on wrong is %100 BS. Even if they were somehow put on wrong and the car still somehow steered at all there is no way that it would be $171. Pep boys is the biggest bunch of uneducated mechanics (there not technicians)on this planet. Each shop maybe has one or two people that are certified in 1 or 2 of the numerous ASE courses. Never go back there agian wether it be for a quart of oil or a new engine never set foot in that place agian. They are the type of people in my profession that give all ofthe hard working honest techs a bad name.In the first quarter of this year I madesubstantualy lesscompared to 4th quarter 2006but I wasn't going around telling customers they needed stuff they didn't, because i know that if im honest they will trust me with there car agian, but if I lie and get caught not only will they never come back they will tell the world about me lying to them, i.e. this thread. LookI obviously have the advantage of never having to deal with thisas a customer, but the truth is there are bad people out there that are trying to make a quick buck just beware, and I beg you, all of you never go to pep boys agian EVER!

Old 06-07-2007, 09:02 AM

Are there any other technicians out there that agree with me?