Tires & Wheels What wheels are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

alignment before AND after tires???

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 03:40 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default alignment before AND after tires???

My brother has an '01 Acura 3.2 CL and it had a pull to the right. He got it aligned and it was out a bit, but still pulls a bit. We found that his tires are worn unevenly and he is going to replace them.

My question is, should he get an alignment even though he got one last week? I'm leaning toward "yes", but given that the alignment is done from the hub, the tire replacement shouldn't affect it. Ideas with explanations of logic? Please refrain from curt responses. Thank you!

Old 10-02-2007, 04:03 PM
Default RE: alignment before AND after tires???

Doesn't the tire shop align the new tires automatically(not sure if it's free, but I would hope so)with the installation of the tires? I believe they do that around here.

Old 10-02-2007, 04:21 PM

My best friend is an auto parts wholesaler. My tires cost $192 for the set ..... not installed.

Old 10-02-2007, 05:10 PM

i would say yes just to be on the safe side.

Old 10-02-2007, 06:46 PM

As you stated as long as they aligned the car to the hub and not to the tire then you shouldn't need a new alignment. Personally I would have them do the install and ask how much it would be to see if it is properly aligned however I think most places at least check it for free when they do a tire install. The last time I had tires put on they came out with a print out showing me what each tire looked like from an alignment prospective and asked what I wanted to do. I'd say just ask them to check their work, make certain that they are aware you had them do an alignment a week or so ago.

Old 10-02-2007, 08:26 PM

I would see how it handles after the new tires are on. If it still pulls take it back to the alignment shop and have them redo it for free. They make mistakes too.

I had my truck aligned recently and they didn't have the steering wheel centered, I took it back and they got the wheel closer to center but the alignment was worse. I ended up doing it myself by eye in my driveway because I waited too long; I don't drive it often.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:12 PM

why didnt the alignment shop see the tire wear the first time through?

Old 10-03-2007, 09:40 AM

Smag: Good question.

SN: Good idea. I'll advise him to go that route.

White: With new tires, I doubt it would be free. Also, I wouldn't feel right telling them that "it just went out" when parts have been replaced.

Old 10-03-2007, 10:51 AM

ORIGINAL: falkore24

My best friend is an auto parts wholesaler. My tires cost $192 for the set ..... not installed.
Lucky......However I just found out that my wife's cousin (about a year older than me) works in sales for Bridgestone and gets tires at wholesale for her family and friends. I think I may get her to hook me up when I need new tires.

Old 10-03-2007, 10:55 AM

Wholesale is definately the way to go if you have the hookup. My connection is for Toyo/Nankang.

Quick Reply: alignment before AND after tires???