Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

Lets see if i have this right...

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 10:46 PM
Default Lets see if i have this right...

alrite let me know if my understanding of what is needed for a turbo to work is correct.
the turbo is hooked up to a wastegate on the hot side of the turbo the exhaust gases go inside it before going into the turbo. the turbo is also hooked up to the manifold (from my research i learned you need a new aftermarket manifold)(i was reading and it was referred to as a "log" manifold?). so the job of an intercooler is to take the hot less dense air and cooler causing it to be denser and avoid "knocking". my car is an automatic and i was wondering if my trani will be able to take the boost of a turbo? if it can about how much psi would you suggest? or should i look at the route of super charger? one question that i've had since the beginning of my research that i still have is what is the job of a turbo timer?
so i have made a small parts list of what i think i need to get a turbo going:
-Turbo
-Wastegate
-New manifold
-Intercooler
is that it or is there more?
if theres more please tell me what it is because then i can search about it and not just be searching in the vague topic of turbocharger to figure out how it works?
sorry about it being so lengthy. any help would be GREATLY appreciated as i have found little help from people on this forum more of people telling me to research more but i'm trying my best.

Old 10-06-2007, 11:45 PM
Default RE: Lets see if i have this right...

Well you will need the pipings, a filter, and a blow off valve.

As for the tranny...it can handle 6, and 8psi at the max. To prolong the life of your tranny add a transmission cooler. Around $40, but the bigger the better. If you drive it like you stole it, and it falls apart dont be surprised. But a few good runs here and there and itll be fine.

Old 10-06-2007, 11:51 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

blow off valves... are those those things that go PHIS-CCHH when you shift?
i was under a slight impression those were optional when putting a turbo on a car...
but I have like no turbo experience, so dont listen to me.

Old 10-07-2007, 03:27 AM

Blow off valve's are a must. Having them vent into the air to make the noise is optional. you can route the discharge back into the intake for the turbo. The BOV is there to prevent a dangerous pressure buildup when the throttle plate is closed during a shift. If the boosted air has no where to go it will back up in the compressor housing, causing damage to your turbo.

Old 10-07-2007, 08:48 AM

I have no experience with turbos but i've been doing a ton of research and was wondering if there was a prefabbed kit i could by just for the piping, and the vaccum hoses? so once i get the turbo manifold, the wastegate, blow off valve,turbo, intercooler all the piping/gaskets/vaccum hoses, a tranny cooler and a filter, what about the turbo controller? and shadow told me to get higher flow fuel injectors, and higher flow fuel pump, fuel regulator, MAP bypass sensors (i trust what shadow says 100%) but is there an easier way? or should i start looking for the parts?

Old 10-07-2007, 11:00 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

when running a turbo you have to have a higher flowing fuel pump to account for the extra fuel it takes to run boosted, you dont need a regulator, you need an fmu (aka fuel management unit) which is a happy bandaid and not very efficent in the long run, but it will be needed if you arent going to run an engine management system which is made to take the signals and process the extra air through your cars system and adjust the fuel needs that way..... and lack of that system is what requires you to have a map bypass sensor, which is needed to releave the extra boost that the stock map is not able to process, if you dont have it and run on boost you will throw a code and the car will not work the way it should...... the only way around this is to not have a turbo on your car or spend more money and you can skip the fmu and map bypass, then have to buy a 2 bar map sensor, and possibly a fuel regulator if the system cant produce the needed pressure off the stock regulator but ive known people to be able to do that with running only 7psi

as for a turbo controller...... do you mean the msd boost timing master, boost controller or turbo timer?

Old 10-07-2007, 02:21 PM

easy/cheap/reliable boost kit as follows: get a turbo, pref something small, i use a hitachi 18s(2g rx7) but many people use old dsm units etc.((easily found for under $300), turbo man, w/ matching flange to the turbo ur running($200 or so depending) ebay intercoolerpiping kit($100 shipped), ebay or dsm/starion intercooler($100 shipped), NEW vortech fmu($100 shipped), ebay oil line kit(btwn. $150-200)stainless braided a MUST, ebay or dsm bov kit($100 shipped), downpipes are everywhere($100 or less) as for the wastegate, get something descent, and use a tial 0.25bar(3psi) spring to start. this boost level will give noticeable power and will run SAFELY with an fmu when u get some type of fuel man. & inj. down the line, then worry about boost control. just try to get ur feet wet w/ this type of setup first. u do the math, but u should be able to make it happen for about $1000 for a descent setup. i did and mineran strong

Old 10-07-2007, 02:28 PM

oh and as a testament , i traded my accord to my boy for his teg cuz ive always wanted a dc2, but while i had it, it was ****ting on hatchbacks with swaps that cost 3x as much.