Appearance Talk about your Accord's interior and exterior mods here.

02 Coupe Driving lights (is there a kit?)

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 09:38 PM
Default 02 Coupe Driving lights (is there a kit?)

OK Folks, Picked up and 02 V6 coupe, it's the replacement for my 98 that was totaled out in a Honda Vrs Deer accident 12/23. So in the interest of trying to see more of whats out there I would like to get a set of Driving lights. However i Can't seem to find kits for the coupe. Lots of 4dr stuff. Any help would be great. Price isn't a really big factor. I want the best fitting brightest lights for that car. Thanks in advance for the help.

Regards!

Old 01-18-2011, 08:11 AM

OK spent the money and bought the Honda kit. Now I'm having a problem with the harness in the steering column. The two wires that you have to insert in the dimmer switch plug will not lock in. One is yellow and the other is red with a black stripe. Can anyone pull a print and tell me what those two wires are for, I suspect one is power through the switch when in low beam but not sure. A clear print would help tremendously. Again this is the same factory Honda Driving light kit for 2002 v6 coupe. Thanks....

Old 01-18-2011, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator

Sound like you are referring to the Honda fog lights. The wires are part of the fog light harness that come with the kit. Based on the diagram that is part of the installation instructions, yellow goes from the light switch to the fog light relay. The red/black wire is the positive wire for the fog light switch illumination. These two wire (which are part of Harness A) are to be plugged into the 14 pin connector from the light switch from behind the connector.

Instructions are at this link:
handa-accessories.com/accord/accord01fl2dv6.pdf

I've also attached the relevant sections of the instructions.

Attached Thumbnails 02 Coupe Driving lights (is there a kit?)-fog-light-circuit.jpg   02 Coupe Driving lights (is there a kit?)-harness-.jpg  
Old 01-18-2011, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator

If you want better lighting, get some Philips HIR 9012 to replace your low beams. These are halogen bulbs to give greater visibility without the glare like aftermarket HIDs. (They are not as bright as HIDs; but, what they give you is usable light.)

amazon.com/Philips-HIR2-9012-Standard-Headlight/dp/B00480N18G

Your car uses 9006 bulbs for the low beam, to use the 9012, you just have to modify one of the base tabs on the bulb. Instructions to modify the base is here:

store.candlepower.com/mohirbuba.html

Here's something to read about fog lights:

danielsternlighting.com/tech/lights/fog_lamps/fog_lamps.html

Old 01-19-2011, 07:00 AM

Redbull, Exactly what I was trying to find out. I spent the money, took several hours to very carefully install them and the only problem I had was I can't get the yellow wire to lock in the dimmer switch connector. I put it together any way and they don't work. I have to get the meter out and start checking for power on the harness I installed.

As for other bulbs I have already went to amazon and bought the Silverstar bulbs for both high and low beams. After bouncing the Doe off the front of the 98 I don't want to see it happen to this one. So I was trying for some extra light. I'll get the fogs to work. I just have to figure out how to resolve the pin retention problem. If it's just a power wire I could probably find a different location to get it from. Just stinks cause the Red wire with the black stripe locked right in... Yellow one isn't.. flipped it every way i could can't make it lock in. That is where I am. Thanks for the help. Since you have the good diagrams is there any place else that I could pick up what I need with the yellow wire? Probably Not. Hate to have to buy another harness or light switch. I'm already in the hole 240 for the light kit....

Old 01-19-2011, 07:04 AM

Couldn't I just tap straight to fuse box for power and use the dash switch for off and on. Just would have to remember to switch off with high beams. With the yellow wire I mean.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by soba_03
I can't get the yellow wire to lock in the dimmer switch connector. I put it together any way and they don't work.
It may be a plastic tab inside the harness connector is broken.

Try this. Insert yellow wire with terminal connector through 14 pin connector, then connect 14-pin connector to light switch. Then try to push the yellow wire terminal with your fingers or use a small flat head screwdriver to push the metal connector for the yellow terminal wire to lock it into the light switch.

The attached image is just a connector shown for illustration purposes. There are plastic tabs to lock the terminals in place.

On a side note, the reason I was recommending the Philips HIR bulbs is because they actually are the brightest halogen bulbs. They put out more lumnens than even the Sylvania Silverstar Ultras. But, since you already got the Sylvanias, it doesn't make much sense to get some new bulbs.

Attached Thumbnails 02 Coupe Driving lights (is there a kit?)-connector.jpg  
Old 01-19-2011, 01:01 PM

It would seem that the lock on the pin is bad or something. Because the connector lock is moving I can see it when I try and insert the pin. It's so small a pin I"m afraid I'll crush it if I try to manipulate it to much. I even tried pushing it in with a small pair of needle nose. Still no help. So your suggestion is go through the connector with the wire hook it up and then place the connector back over it? should be just 12dc not sure home i'm going to approach it just yet... Thanks for all your help..

Old 01-19-2011, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator

I would try to insert the wire with the connector directly first, then from behind the connector, try to push the terminal of the yellow wire into the light switch. The reason I would try this first is because most likely the plastic tab inside the connector will prevent the entire terminal from going through it.

If that failed, then I might try to cut some of the plastic tab inside the connector with an X-acto blade or cut the yellow wire; then connect the yellow wire terminal to the light switch, then afterward push on the 14-pin connector. If the wire is cut, just re-connect the yellow wire afterward.

Old 01-24-2011, 05:41 AM

Got them working, it was right where I thought it was. Got the pins to lock in the dimmer plug finally, did have to walk away from it for about a week. But got in there Saturday and got the pins in the connector and POOF everything work like advertised.. Some minor adjusting and we should be good... Thanks for all the assistance!

Quick Reply: 02 Coupe Driving lights (is there a kit?)