Appearance Talk about your Accord's interior and exterior mods here.

2009 Accord Sun Visor's are loose

Old 11-04-2009, 05:39 PM
Default 2009 Accord Sun Visor's are loose

Has anybody noticed any issues with the sun visors on the 2009 Accord EX's? Both of mine are loose at the pivots and it's driving me nuts. When I go around a corner the damn thing rotates and hits me in the head.

If I could figure out how to get them off and put a shim in there I would just to avoid a painful trip to the dealership.

Thanks

Old 06-12-2011, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Doctor J.
Has anybody noticed any issues with the sun visors on the 2009 Accord EX's? Both of mine are loose at the pivots and it's driving me nuts. When I go around a corner the damn thing rotates and hits me in the head.

If I could figure out how to get them off and put a shim in there I would just to avoid a painful trip to the dealership.

Thanks

Hi Dr. J.

I had the same problem on my '01 Accord. It's not so much the up/down action, but more so the swinging left-to-right. The problem is the tension spring. And because the collar is flared, you can't replace the spring. And because I didn't want to spend any $$$ on my '01 Accord, here is what I did:

1. I unscrewed the visor and disconnected the wiring (this made it easier for me to work on it).
  2. I took a wire coat hanger and with a set of needle-nose pliers and bent the end so it would be able to wrap around the collar. I snipped off about a 1-inch piece.
  3. I inserted a flat-head screwdriver between the bottom of the tension spring and the flange to make some room for the hanger wire.
  4. With the spring compressed, I slipped the hanger wire around the collar at the bottom of the spring.
  5. I used the needle-nose pliers to squeeze the hanger wire in place. This ultimately created the extra tension I needed to keep the visor from swinging too loosely and smacking me on the head.
I replaced the visor and immediately noticed a difference. I attached a photo of the spring I'm referring to. The object is to get squeeze that spring down and get insert something around the flanged collar.

Total total time it took me to do this was about 10 to 15 minutes...and it saved me a couple of bucks!

Good luck!

Attached Thumbnails 2009 Accord Sun Visor's are loose-tension-spring.jpg