Appearance Talk about your Accord's interior and exterior mods here.

Changing headlight alone on an Accord 96?? Possible??

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 08:39 PM
Default Changing headlight alone on an Accord 96?? Possible??

Hi, have any of you exeprienced self headlight installing? I heard you need to remove the bumper and stuff. I have an Accord 96, i saw that few screws are starting to get rusted,but forgot which one. I'm gonna buy a projector off Ebay. They are around 150$,i already purchased 8500k bulbs and had them up now,they are quite blue but not as strong as i thought they'll be haha. Anyways!! You guys think its possible ?? I don't mind taking time,i have the whole summer. Instructions are greatly appreciated =] and tools requirement. Thanks everyone!!!

Old 05-09-2007, 11:45 PM
Default RE: Changing headlight alone on an Accord 96?? Possible??

yeah of course its possible to replace it yourself. guys on here do it all the time. im pretty sure you do have to remove the bumper to access the headlights but you shouldnt need more then a screwdriver and a rachet or sumtin. as for instructions i have no clue ive never done it. jsut a bit of warning alot of ppl claim that ebay projectors dim the light a lil bit but i think you should be fine. good luck with that

Old 05-10-2007, 03:32 PM

youre gonna have to remove the grill, bumper cover, and the actual "bumper" frame reinforcement too. youre gonna need a crosstip screwdriver, a 10mm socket setup for the headlight bolts and i think its a 14mm for the actual hardened bumper. i would buy a Haynes manual if youve never done it. you oughta have one of those anyway. please note when you go to remove the hard bumper, it's held on each side by four bolts like this:
O O
O O
you only have to remove either thetop two or the bottom two, but not all four. im not sure which tho (ive done it at least 8 times) i wanna say the bottom. once you remove the correct set, the bumper will just slip up and off. this makes the reinstall way easier.

Old 05-10-2007, 03:36 PM

Also, I dunno if your car has airbags, but when you get your haynes mannual you might want to disable them before you take your bumper off. If you trip the sensor and the airbags go off, it isn't fun, and costs a lot to get them put back in lol.

Old 05-10-2007, 05:54 PM

Wow,it looks so hard ... I guess i'll take it to the garage instead,am scared of breaking things up and it'll become even more expensive...thanks a lot guys!

Old 05-10-2007, 08:23 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Would just disconnecting the battery prevent the airbagfs from deploying? How much would it be to take it to get it installed at a place like Midas?!

Old 05-10-2007, 09:19 PM

Nah man, I wouldn't take it to a shop... disabling the airbags goes like this: Disconnect both battery terminals and then wait around for like 5 minutes ( I don't know why just trust me lol) Then you have to remove an acess pannel under the steering wheel, and unplug the two-pin wiring harness the powers the airbag. Then you have to remove the glove box and disconnect a similar wiring harness to disable the passenger side airbag. Anyway, I wouldn't worry that much about the airbags, and the bumper removal is pretty easy too. I wouldn't pay a shop a lot of money to put in headlights, they will probably overcharge you, and plus I always think of challenging upgrades as a good chance to learn lol. You can do whatever you want, but I'd try it personally haha.

Old 05-11-2007, 04:00 PM

Do i really have to remove the airbag thing lol? I don't get it , where do i start unscrewing? opening hood and unscrewing? Please help >< , pictures is greatly appreciated, as a picture can mean a lot of words. thanks ! Anyone has a 95-96 tat tried it?

Old 06-01-2007, 01:54 PM

It is very simple to do this all you have to really do is get a phillp head screw driver and a 10 mm rench.
Take off the grill and start to unscrew, then replace with new ones and then put everything back. I did this a million times while trying to adjust my projector headlights. (they are not always strait)

It only took me 45min- 1 hour to take of and replace both headlights.

Old 06-02-2007, 08:43 PM

Hi Rhhond, i know its hard to ask you this but ... you think you can take a video of your operations please? i would like to see it ... as my knownledge for car mechanics is very limited,tats why i would like it to be visual ... thanks.

Quick Reply: Changing headlight alone on an Accord 96?? Possible??