Appearance Talk about your Accord's interior and exterior mods here.

Custom Dashboard Cluster

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 06:57 PM
Default Custom Dashboard Cluster

Hello everyone.

I am interested in buying a custom gauge cluster for my 2001 Honda Accord EX 4 cyl (5-spd Manual). I found one 2 months back for roughly 70 dollars but can't remember the website for the life of me.

Does anyone know where I can buy/look at custom clusters for my car?
And, do the clusters actually work if installed, or does everything have to be insanely calibrated to the point where it's not worth it?

I already purchased Blue LEDs and swapped the stock lame bulbs for the blue ones, but I just want something that looks a little more "modern"

Thanks!

Old 02-17-2012, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator

Are you talking about the different colored faces? Anyone where you have to take the needle off to install I would stay away from. Taking the needles off and getting them back on without breaking them, and in the same place is near impossible.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:18 AM

Like, I see all these people on YouTube with custom dashboards. Not removing the needles, but taking the entire instrument cluster out completely and putting in a completely different one.

I saw a website a few months ago that sold them, but can't remember it, nor do I know if they work.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:09 AM

what like this thing??

http://www.amazon.com/98-Honda-Accor.../dp/B000UO480O

That may work, at $30 bucks, it's a pretty safe investment, worst case you lose 30 bucks. everything is on amazon..

Old 02-19-2012, 10:13 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

that is for the housings on the corners of the clusters that you can add gauges into.

I am pretty sure the OP has confused the overlays with custom clusters.

Perhaps if he linked to the videos that he saw them in we caould help more.

Old 02-19-2012, 02:13 PM

Oh true my mistake that is just the housing, didn't notice that.. Well, in that case, as far as a whole custom instrument cluster, I don't really think I've seen those. I know people change those back face with the reverse glow and whatever else.. But those things, more often than not, end up screwing up your needles and whatever else in the process of installation..

Old 02-19-2012, 02:26 PM

I am pretty sure this is what the OP saw installed

since the OP hasn't come back to this thread I guess it doesn't really matter too much.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by crispin
I am pretty sure this is what the OP saw installed

since the OP hasn't come back to this thread I guess it doesn't really matter too much.
This this this!!

That is exactly what I am looking for.

Is there a place where I can buy, like exactly that? I don't know if that includes the entire instrument cluster or not though.

Sorry for the lack of replies, I was unable to access my computer or wifi this weekend.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:15 PM

yes that is called an overlay kit. The needles must be pulled off and put back on in the same positions they were in when they were removed.

I have done it before, it sucks but isn't too bad.

That kit costs $28 including shipping on ebay.

I am thinking about getting it but I also have a spare cluster in case I mess something up.

if you do it, make sure you take a picture of where all the needles are pointing before you remove them, I am serious, makes it much easier.

Here is one for your car, it is only $19 including shipping.

98-02 HONDA ACCORD DX EX LX INDIGLO GLOW GAUGE 99 00 01 | eBay

Old 02-21-2012, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by crispin
yes that is called an overlay kit. The needles must be pulled off and put back on in the same positions they were in when they were removed.

I have done it before, it sucks but isn't too bad.

That kit costs $28 including shipping on ebay.

I am thinking about getting it but I also have a spare cluster in case I mess something up.

if you do it, make sure you take a picture of where all the needles are pointing before you remove them, I am serious, makes it much easier.

98-02 HONDA ACCORD DX EX LX INDIGLO GLOW GAUGE 99 00 01 | eBay

Well it sounds easy enough. But Im not sure if I'm comfortable changing the needles. Yeah I could buy a spare cluster, but like it was said before, it's probably impossible to get them in the same place. 1-3 mph difference may make or break getting a ticket. Do you think a mechanic would apply the new gauges for a somewhat cheap price?

Quick Reply: Custom Dashboard Cluster