Appearance Talk about your Accord's interior and exterior mods here.

DIY Window Tinting?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 02:10 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default DIY Window Tinting?

Have any of you heard anything about SnapTint(http://www.snaptint.com) DIY tinting kits? They use SolarGard HP pre-cut films and what not. I'm a pretty good DIY-er and I plan on actually removing the windows to tint them and depending on how the side windows go, decide on professional rear window or DIY also. I can get a full kit for $102 with tools and free shipping. I'm planning on going 35/35/35 on the tint (law in MN is 50) or possibly 35/35/20. What do you think? Legit?

Old 04-16-2008, 02:23 PM
Default RE: DIY Window Tinting?

I tried a DIY kit that was precut for my car, and it was impossible. Took me about 2 hours to get the driverside window on, and it still had bubbles. After 50 wasted at the local autozone getting more tint i decided to get it professionally done for 170, took them all of twenty minutes to get all the windows done, and they used 3M tint @ 20% law in NYC is ~35%. If you going to take the window out though it may be a different story, in that case i say go for it.

Old 04-16-2008, 02:26 PM

don't do it to yourself.

Old 04-16-2008, 02:48 PM

Well I'm not worried about the film quality or fitment too much. I had a similar film on my iPod that was applied the same exact way as the window tint. Turned out amazing. The thing is I don't really trust a shop because my window tracks and guides are so dirty the tint will get scratched right away. This way I can guaranteed it's adhered to the glass without stuff it under door seals and what not.

Old 04-16-2008, 02:52 PM

I had a shop do mine (45/35/35) last week for $149 OTD.I was toldnotto roll the windows down for 5 days (kinda chilly here in Ohio). They are great now. I attempted to do my ownback in the day, and they turned out pretty good, but it isn't worth my timeanymore. I vote to have it done.

Old 04-16-2008, 03:00 PM

That's probably what I'll do. Ron, do you have any pics of how dark the 45 is vs. the 35?

Old 04-16-2008, 03:18 PM

I don't have pics, but I'll try to get some this weekend. The difference is very minimal.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:15 PM

The shop I used, had a display of all the different %'s and shades. If you're just trying to decide how dark to go, a trip to a local shop might help.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:22 PM

ORIGINAL: peter4jc

The shop I used, had a display of all the different %'s and shades. If you're just trying to decide how dark to go, a trip to a local shop might help.
Werd [&:]

Old 04-17-2008, 02:06 PM

I just had mine done last night. 35% all around, which is not legal in MN...I'll roll the dice on that one. Anyways, there were two guys working on my car and it took them about 3.5 hours and these guys do it for a living. They had to remove all the door panels to do it right they said. $175 out the door.

A question I have for others, after you have the tint, I noticed that when looking in the rear view mirror, the rear defrost "lines" now reflect quite a bit. So if you're looking back, it looks like 6 pairs headlights instead of one because of the reflections off those lines. The Tint guys said that was normal, but what do you guys think?

Quick Reply: DIY Window Tinting?