Appearance Talk about your Accord's interior and exterior mods here.

Exploding sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 06:57 PM
Default Honda Sunroof Explosion

Like some others, I also experienced the frightening event of having the sunroof explode on my Honda Accord while travelling down the turnpike at 65 miles an hour. There was no apparent foreign object coming through the sunroof, so I can only guess it happened on its own. Go figure.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:47 AM

damn that's pretty cool.. well not if I was in your shoes, it's not, that just sucks.. but it sound so cool.. sorry.. Sounds like the glass on the sunroof was under serious duress from pressure.. Something has to be too tight, that glass isn't supposed to shatter easily either..

Old 05-12-2012, 09:09 AM
Default Exploding Sunroof 2010

I had the sunroof explode a few weeks ago while driving along a country road. Very loud boom. No apparent object/meteorite falling from the sky. Honda dealership was gracious enough to fix it for over $1,600!

Old 05-12-2012, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Scotia boy
I had the sunroof explode a few weeks ago while driving along a country road. Very loud boom. No apparent object/meteorite falling from the sky. Honda dealership was gracious enough to fix it for over $1,600!
and you paid that much?? if your wasn't under warranty, at the very least, you should've asked an independent shop or something or a body shop to get a quote.. i don't know if body shops fix them.. geez man..

a bunch of you guys seem to have this happen to you.. I wonder if y'all could get some sort of class action lawsuit going.. that's kinda ridiculous..

Old 05-13-2012, 10:10 AM
Angry $1600 is rediculous!

my wife's sunroof exploded in the summer of 2010 when the car was only 2 months old. after negotiating with the dealer we agreed to pay his cost for the roof, about $450, and they installed it with no labor costs. even at that i was rather upset for paying anything when it's a manufacturing defect.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:31 PM
Default sunroof broke

Yes ! my Honda 2008 Accord just had sunroof broken with no reason on July 7,2012. So I called polices to do a report to find out more if some one try to break in or a bullet falling from the sky.but did not find any thing .today I got a claim from my insurance but i will talk to Honda customer service to fine out more information ,because I think this is a danger to public .
Thanks
Kseng

Old 07-10-2012, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

car-part.com shows used prices in $200-$300 range. Installaiton is easy.

good luck

Old 10-23-2014, 07:51 AM
Angry 2012 Honda Accord - exploded sunroof

10-22-2014 I also was driving early 5:30 a.m. on a 6-lane road with no other traffic. there were also no trees overhead because of the width of the road when I heard a odd cracking sound followed by air movement in the car.

I pulled off the road and discovered that the sunroof had cracked and shattered.

We took the car to the dealer who said it is not covered because he had never heard of a sunroof cracking unless caused by an accident and that a rock must have hit it. We asked him to take pictures and send in a claim to Honda. I also had pictures I took. After reading this site, I will press him to send in the claim. He offered no rental car.

This sounds like a recall for sure. thanks. for the info.

Attached Thumbnails  Exploding sunroof-photo0012.jpg  
Old 03-29-2015, 02:40 PM
Default 2014 Honda Accord sunroof exploded outwardly

Hey! I just want to see if this is a possible recall-able problem. We were on the interstate yesterday with no traffic in our near vicinity when there was suddenly a loud "POW" almost like a gunshot and immediately I heard loud wind noise. I pushed open the sunshade only to see a massive hole in the glass sunroof. We were very near a local Honda dealership. When we got to Bob Boyte we stopped in the new car lot. A couple of salesmen approached us, one stated that one of his customers' had done exactly the same thing a week ago. Another recommended us to the service department. They were absolutely NO help! I won't even take my Honda there for service-ever! The service writer took my VIN, walked over to the Parts guy, parts guy said it would be about 5 days before they could get one. Then the service guy handed me an invoice for $1033.06 and asked, "Do you want us to order it?" He hadn't even been out to the service bay to examine the car. LOL. Then he made another idiotic statement. "Don't open the sunroof; the broken glass can get into the mechanism and cause more damage." My reply to that? "Dude, I have a gaping hole in broken glass above my head. Why would I try to open it?" Then I said, "What kind of rocket scientist does it take to have that much common sense? Then I told him NO I do not want you to order anything, my insurance will handle it." Never will that Honda dealership get any of my business. Long story short.....I'm reading a lot of the same problem in Hondas. I plan to return to the dealership where we purchased the car and try to get a "class action" lawsuit going. What do y'all think?

Last edited by Pauline Bell; 03-29-2015 at 02:47 PM. Reason: grammar mistake
Old 03-30-2015, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Cheapest way to fix is used part, unless you can get dealership or insurance to pony up.

good luck

Quick Reply: Exploding sunroof