Appearance Talk about your Accord's interior and exterior mods here.

HID headlights, any ideas on what one i should get?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 01:24 PM

Let us all know how they look.

Old 01-18-2010, 04:39 PM

ok, so ddm tuning it is. one other question would be i have black housed projectors. this is the picture

it says in the ad i bought it off that there was h1 hi and low beams installed already. if i put the h1 hid slim ballast from ddm tuning, will it be fine? will it melt or have any problems?

thanks

Old 01-19-2010, 07:42 AM

no prob

Old 01-21-2010, 09:02 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by RegionalPilot
I have a 2003 Accord. If I purchase the slim kit from DDM do I need to replace my original manufactured headlight assembly with projectors?
You don't need to replace the head lights with projectors at all. I would keep the original headlights and just buy a HID kit. But make sure you also get a relay harness or you might end up frying your car. The reason is because the initial output of power once you turn the HID on takes a considerable amount of power to light up the lights and your stock harness/wires will not be able to hold that power for very long before they will fry. After the intial startup then the power dies down and levels out to consistent level, which is very low.
A relay harness will only run you about $15-$20 more.

Old 01-22-2010, 06:51 AM

For my 06 accord, I have the DDM slim ballast kit without a relay harness. Should I get one as well?
On 2 occassions, my right lamp was out and came on again minutes later. Nothing is lose but maybe not having the harness is the cause.

Old 01-23-2010, 05:38 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by raspantienator
For my 06 accord, I have the DDM slim ballast kit without a relay harness. Should I get one as well?
On 2 occassions, my right lamp was out and came on again minutes later. Nothing is lose but maybe not having the harness is the cause.

Yes, the added security of a relay harness is worth it. It's always to be safe then sorry. And a relay harness isn't much money at all. Around $20.

Old 01-23-2010, 07:29 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

In general, its best to put HID's in ebay projectors at the minimum. Otherwise you will have massive glare in stock headlights and ****/blind everyone. Then, to avoid the glare youll have to aim the original headlights down which cancels out any sort of benefit.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:44 AM

Thanks for the info qpham45.

Do you have a link to share, where I can purchase the relay harness?
Also, how hard is it to install?

Regarding the projectors mohsanity wants to purchase, I was also thinking of adding them as well. All high end light systems in luxury cars today use projectors, so just having HID lights isn't enough anymore. The visual difference is substantial but I to, have fears of installing the lenses.
Might be a spring project though.

Last edited by raspantienator; 01-24-2010 at 08:50 AM.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:56 AM
19Accord97
Unregistered

^?

It has been mentioned to get your HID's from DDMTuning which has the relay harnesses as well.

HID's in stock headlight housing is going to cause A LOT of glare. People will be blinded and you'll constantly be getting flashed. Again, the only way to avoid that is to either basically point the headlights straight down or get projectors or do a retro.

Getting eBay projectors will be better but not the best. They are still designed for halogen bulbs WHICH HAVE MUCH DIFFERENT CHARACTERISTICS THAN HID'S, but wont cause quite as much glare. I had ebay projectors and they are POS, then I got my TYC projectors and have been happy with them and HID's.

Then lenses aren't bad to install. On your year, like every other year, you have to remove the front bumper cover, but youll also have to remove your wheel as well. Once you do it once it is simple.

Old 01-24-2010, 02:33 PM

Just wanted to add, just like 19Accord97 did, i went with a set of TYC projectors (for obvious quality benefits over ebay generic projectors) and i have a set of DDM slim ballast HID's with 6000K bulbs and they look FANTASTIC! 8000K is too blue for me and i wasn't sure if 5000K would be too bright, but honestly i think my next set is probably going to be 5000K

i did notice, the TYC projectors are optimized for halogens, which with a set of 6000K HID's causes a purple glow on the top edge of the cutoff, not that i mind it, but with the halogens, it's not there.. actually kinda makes halogens look more white than anything, i'm curious as to what 5000K would look like in them, because there pretty much isn't any blue spectrum in them... i guess i'll find out some day.

i'm completely happy with the results, the overall visual improvement the car gets from the new housings is great, and the HID's provide more than enough light to see everything you NEED to see while driving at night.

I don't know if it's just me, but i'm so used to driving with my HID headlights that when i get into most any other vehicle it's almost sickening to have to deal with standard halogen lights again.

the DDM slim ballasts are a fantastic product and kit, you'll find yourself having so many mounting options because of their size that you wont know what to do.

just as a little install note/tip.. the DDM ballasts do have threaded mounting holes, i can't remember the exact size, but i wanna say M3 thread.. anyway, i took a ballast to the local hardware and purchased socket head cap screws in the proper thread and lock washers and found a location that suited my needs and i could drill through, drilled some holes and bolted the ballasts down. i've seen other people do it with double sided tape, or zip-ties, but that's just not good enough for me i wanted to be sure they weren't going to come loose at all.

anyway, i think you'll be plenty happy with DDM HID's i know i am, and i won't buy another brand now that i've owned them.

overall, well worth the time to install new housings, and definitely WELL worth the HID conversion.

regards,

~Moddage

Quick Reply: HID headlights, any ideas on what one i should get?