Appearance Talk about your Accord's interior and exterior mods here.

jdm type r grill does not fit, ruined my bumper!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 09:25 PM
Angry jdm type r grill does not fit, ruined my bumper!

I have an 01 accord ex coupe. I ordered a type r grill and received it today. Was supposed to be a direct bolt on part. Went to install it and noticed my factory grille is 1 piece with my bumper.Went to the forums to review past posts and saw that I had to cut my grille out, did that now it doesnt fit and my bumper is ruined. Any advice?

Old 10-01-2010, 11:44 AM

customize that s*** make the best of it! you can get it to fit but it will take some work. you will of course have to modify it. first off why did you even cut the grill out. your best bet would have been to get the 98 coupe bumper and and them put the grille in it cuz the coupes have removable grilles.

Old 10-02-2010, 05:41 AM
Newest Of Newbies

alright first off take some pics so we can see what you are working with, the best idea is to make a template of the hole you cut and just cut the new grill to match the hole, now since I dont know exactly what your working with right now, its either that, put in mesh, hope not, or a new bumper

Old 10-20-2011, 07:18 PM

how did that work out for you, did you get a new bumper or did you just try to make it work? i have the same problem right now and i'm debating if i should cut my grill out or not X( i was really excited for my grill to come in and now i'm so disappointed

Old 10-20-2011, 07:21 PM

Fatnugg post a pic of your bumper and the grille, let's see if we can work something out.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:22 PM

these aren't exactly mine but i feel like i know the grills attached to my bumper because i don't see any creases between them and i can't feel clips/ screw under where i would take off the original grill.

this is the grill i ordered

Old 10-20-2011, 10:07 PM

Yeah your stock bumper is one big molded piece, you'll have to cut the grill out with a dremel or similar tool so it fits the new grill. Measure carefully and cut a little smaller than you think you need at first, it's always easy to go back and make a second bigger cut but you can't undo it once it's gone! If you measure carefully I think you can make it work well, the big question is how to attach the grill once you have the empty space in the bumper for it. I'll consider it for a while and see if I can find anyone who can come up with something, maybe in the meantime someone here will have an idea.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:12 PM

i was thinking jb weld or bondo, something similar to epoxy so i can mold behind the bumper without making a mess. do you think thats a bad idea?

Old 10-20-2011, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by fattnugg
i was thinking jb weld or bondo, something similar to epoxy so i can mold behind the bumper without making a mess. do you think thats a bad idea?
Bondo sounds like a good idea to me, but you'll have to spray the bumper after. It would make it look nice and smooth like stock but with a different grille. That would be pretty cool.

Old 10-21-2011, 12:45 PM

i'm still debating if i should cut or not. if i don't this is a 99 do you think it'll fit?

Quick Reply: jdm type r grill does not fit, ruined my bumper!