Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Appearance (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/appearance-9/)
-   -   neon tubes or other lighting (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/appearance-9/neon-tubes-other-lighting-9585/)

louisville_slugger89 05-14-2007 08:12 PM

neon tubes or other lighting

hey i'm lookin around and a relativly cheap under $40 mod i see for the interior is neon tubes on the floor up under where your feet go
http://www.nedrhealy.com/images/hgiftmt.jpg
yea up in there on both sides

and i was wondering if anybody has any experience with this and could ofer me any good brands or other places for them

and how they work ie plug unto can i turn them off easy
thats stuff

19Accord97 05-14-2007 09:40 PM

RE: neon tubes or other lighting

There arent all that many neon brands out there. Im assuming they'll be the same except some can either be turned on all the time or beat w/ the music. Most have cigarette plug ins, but you could add a switch and wire them in permantely somewhere. I have one under the passenger dash and put it in there w/ zip ties.

louisville_slugger89 05-14-2007 09:45 PM

o
which do you think would be better a tube or a rope

cuz i dont really want a bright light
just a little glow

but wanna hide the source

19Accord97 05-14-2007 10:14 PM

It depends man. Are you wanting to light up the floorwell, or accent things that have curves. With the tube, you can hide it out of site and it will provide plenty of sweet looking neon glow. the wires wont glow as muhc persay...I think its more of a neon that you are supposed to see. Like outling your console with it or something. Hope I have helped!

louisville_slugger89 05-14-2007 10:23 PM

yea you did

i think i'ma try to get 2 and put em on my floor board on both sides
thinkin i'ma get red since it'll be a little darker

and i'm gonna leave the adapters on and maybe try to splice the 2 together and plug em in at the same time

all i need now is to paint my car cuz there's no use in puttin red neons ona purple car whose paint is chiping off

19Accord97 05-14-2007 10:35 PM

Sounds good! Post some pics when your done! If you dont feel like splicing, which would be easy, they do make cigarette splitters...which can take four things that plug into it. Ive got one.

louisville_slugger89 05-14-2007 10:39 PM

aight
wont be able to put pix up for a while cuz i gotta wait till i get the car painted to mod it and that wont happen till prolly a month anda half

03Sleeper 05-15-2007 07:53 AM

"cigarette splitters"

Where can I get one of those??

accord93 05-15-2007 10:09 AM

pretty sure ive seen those at advanced

Fenix 05-15-2007 03:54 PM

i just did that, i put LED's instead because i could change the color of the light. And there held in by zip ties, front and back. I love those things. Relativly easy mod. I forget where i got them from

live2rice 05-15-2007 03:58 PM

i have streetglow 10 or 12 inch tubes under mine. they look really good, just have to be carefull not to kick them.

19Accord97 05-15-2007 10:06 PM

ORIGINAL: 03Sleeper

"cigarette splitters"

Where can I get one of those??

They've got em all over! I dont know if Wal-Mart has them anymore...but yeah, like they said, Advanced Auto, Autozone and maybe Meijers. They are like 8 bucks. They'll either be by the neon or the power invertors...actually, I think thats where they are @ Wal-mart

03Sleeper 05-15-2007 10:51 PM

Sweet. I was thinking about accenting my car with a cool blue theme.

19Accord97 05-15-2007 11:04 PM

It would look cool!

But if you have lots of tubes, you'll have lots of messy wires and then you'll have to plug in/out the cig. lighter to power them. I would hardwire them into a 12v power source with a switch, but either way works! I planned on doing that but oh well!

03Sleeper 05-15-2007 11:36 PM

Well, I got blue LEDs for all the lights (dome, door, trunk). I'm thinking two tubes in front and possibly two smaller ones under the drivers/passenger seat. I want to add a light under the hood...but that would take real work.

Fenix 05-16-2007 12:41 PM

not as much as you think, splicing wires isnt hard at all. the toughest part is snaking the wires so you dont see them. What i did with the LED's under the seats and under the driver and passenger console is hook it up to a switch so i dont have any wires hangning out or pluged into the cig lighter. It looks much cleaner.

louisville_slugger89 05-16-2007 04:52 PM

well which do you think would be better led's or neon s?

cuz i just want sort of a little gloiw and with neon i'd only do the front seat but it would be cool to have them front and under the front seats

19Accord97 05-16-2007 06:42 PM

Neon will have more of a glow, but so will the leds. The leds draw less power. Either one will look good!

sir_nasty 05-16-2007 06:50 PM

I think that having 2 lights under the motor mounted to the frame then wired into the battery with an inline fuse and buy a hood switch (like a car alarm has) that way when you open the hood the lights pop on and it's a light that glows underneath then just put a different color bulb in the normal "hood light" so the whole thing gets illuminated in a colored glow....

19Accord97 05-16-2007 07:27 PM

^ That would be cool too! Just make sure not to plce it to close to any exhaust section. My car doesnt have a hood light:( booo

03Sleeper 05-16-2007 08:52 PM

I don't think any Accord has a hood light....boo on Honda. ;)

louisville_slugger89 05-16-2007 09:38 PM

aight so i'm thinkin bout getting this set of led's
http://www.ledunderbody.com/index.as...&ProdID=65
1 it's cheap
2 it looks easy to take care of/install
3 it has the fur seperate lights i wanted all wired into one power source
4 it has a easy to use switch

tell me what you think of it

accord93 05-17-2007 12:17 AM

nicely done tat will look tite man, put pics up of ur car once you have that in!

03Sleeper 05-17-2007 07:51 AM

Those LED tubes look pretty sweet....put up pics once you install them...and rate the level of difficulty of mod! :)

accord93 05-18-2007 10:02 AM

i have streetglow underglow on my car(neoblue) and it was really easy to do. my friend knew how to do the wiring so he did that while i screwed it into the bottom.

1996AccordLX 05-18-2007 11:11 AM

It is really simple, just wire it up to an open post on your fusebox instead of directly yo your battery. I find it much more simple. But be careful whatever you do don't go too fast over the speed bumps or bumps in general, i ripped off a tube on the right side of my civic because i bottomed out, so be careful!!

Fenix 05-18-2007 06:58 PM

Those tubes look like the exact ones i have in my car. i did under the console heres how mine came out [img=http://img101.imagevenue.com/loc659/th_46637_DSC00146_122_659lo.JPG][img=http://img154.imagevenue.com/loc815/th_46641_DSC00147_122_815lo.JPG][img=http://img43.imagevenue.com/loc977/th_46648_DSC00148_122_977lo.JPG][img=http://img12.imagevenue.com/loc628/th_46660_DSC00149_122_628lo.JPG]
[img=http://img42.imagevenue.com/loc1132/th_46678_DSC00173_122_1132lo.JPG][img=http://img105.imagevenue.com/loc849/th_46685_DSC00174_122_849lo.JPG]

louisville_slugger89 05-18-2007 08:19 PM

thanks for the pictures Fenix

does it have the same switch too?

if so where did you put it and where/what is your power source?

Fenix 05-18-2007 10:55 PM

my kit came with a controler/distributer box, that the leds plugged into. but it did have the same switch. i put the switch in the glove box and snaked the wires behind the center console. And hooked the whole system up to a toggle switch so all i have to do is flip the switch and the lights are glowing. Ill tell you this, when its done right it looks great. And those picsi took are only of the blue color, i have it fade through all 7 colors. Looks great. Took me bout and hour, the toughest part was actually placing the rods so you cant see them.

1996AccordLX 05-19-2007 11:10 PM

ORIGINAL: louisville_slugger89

thanks for the pictures Fenix

does it have the same switch too?

if so where did you put it and where/what is your power source?

Wire it up to your fusebox, that's what i used as my power source for mine and my friends kit

louisville_slugger89 05-20-2007 11:06 AM

ok
thank you everybody for your assistance

1996AccordLX 05-20-2007 10:17 PM

You will have i think 3 open posts on in your fusebox, one will have power all the time, maybe 2 i forget, and one of them will be on when the key is in the1 position. I used the one where power was on only when the key was in the1 position just in case i left it on, it wouldn't be on all day or night, although i'm pretty sure it would be pretty easy to see if it was on at night. But yeah any more questions just ask

GothardJ 05-27-2007 04:54 AM

I haven't put any neons in my new 02 Accord, but I had them in my '88 accord, And I've found that the neon tubes make a much more bright, rich color than the rope does. But it is harder to hide the tubes. Another thing that affects how much light they give out is the color of the inside. I find that a darker interior makes the color look brighter. Also, you can buy them all with cigarette outlet plugs, but they can be easily hardwired with a switch, just make sure that you fuse all the extra wires.(Due to safety issues). As for brands, you can go expensive with street glow, or you can go cheaper through stores like Walmart, Kmart, and Autozone. They all work about the same, but it seems that if you are going to set them to the music, then go with the street glow, because the cheaper ones don't last as long to the music. They will just stop reading the music, and stay steady beams of light. Hope this helps.

daniel08 05-31-2007 01:05 AM

i just put a switch inmy dash and wired them to the battery. if you do that make sure that u get a inline fuse. i got two 10 inch neons from autozone and they are fine.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member.../2636251_8.jpg

Dr.Evil 05-31-2007 09:51 PM

I just had blue LEDs installed under the dash and in thr AC vents. They are fully controllable with multiple settings. Also had PlasmaGlow 2.1 million light tubes installed under the car as well. Awsome sight! I had it done by a local shop. Didn't wantloosewiresor a sloppylookinginstall. WiththeLambodoorsopen , it'squite a sight.

03 coupe
AEM cold air,Tein lowering springs,Greddy strut bar,
Large bore throttle body,17" Kobe Race 10 wheels
Honda OEM ground effects, Comptech rear sway bar,
NOX next week

Dj Insanity 05-31-2007 10:06 PM

ORIGINAL: Dr.Evil

I just had blue LEDs installed under the dash and in thr AC vents. They are fully controllable with multiple settings. Also had PlasmaGlow 2.1 million light tubes installed under the car as well. Awsome sight! I had it done by a local shop. Didn't wantloosewiresor a sloppylookinginstall. WiththeLambodoorsopen , it'squite a sight.

sounds sweet.. you got any pics? how much did they charge for installation... and did you buy the neon and just had them install them or did they do everything.. if they did everything how much was it for everything?

Dj Insanity 05-31-2007 10:07 PM

ORIGINAL: Dr.Evil

sounds sweet.. you got any pics? how much did they charge for installation... and did you buy the neon and just had them install them or did they do everything.. if they did everything how much was it for everything?

HuYnHness 06-01-2007 02:31 AM

i bought a blue 8" dual tube neon kit on ebay for cheap. it has sound activation so i can make it beat with music or keep it on. i mounted it under my dash but instead of screwing it in i used duck brand permanent mounting tape but it keeps falling even after i cleaned the surface with lysol wipes and dried it. it looks really cool and was easy to do besides having the tubes fall all the time. only problem i have with my kit is that the wires between the neon tubes and the sound module are only 2.5 ft long so the only place i could mount the sound module was on bottom of my center console right by my feet so on a high sensitivity setting road noise sets it off. at the moment its still plugged into the cigarette lighter in the center console but im thinkin about hardwiring it.

i feel really tempted to get that led kit that you found or the 7 color led kit and put my neons somewhere else.

i just realized i really do ramble on about absolutely nuttin. please shoot me (or since this is a car forum, run me over)

Dr.Evil 06-02-2007 07:57 AM

>>sounds sweet.. you got any pics? how much did they charge for installation... and did you buy the neon and just had them install them or did they do everything.. if they did everything how much was it for everything? <<
The uderbody lighte were about $180.00,I bought them from SCO, but the interior was from the shop. The whole job cost $600.00

HuYnHness 06-02-2007 11:09 PM

my interior is really dirty and ive been too lazy to clean it and take pics. but to be completely honest its probably nothing compared to your setup. im also on a mac right now so i really dont know how to use it to upload pic of the neons. WHERES THE RIGHT CLICK?

i wanna see pics of your ride though

i just figured it out
http://www.smlelectronics.com/ebay_i...BlueNeon-1.jpg
http://www.smlelectronics.com/ebay_i...BlueNeon-3.jpg