Appearance Talk about your Accord's interior and exterior mods here.

New Hondas known for scratching tint?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 11:41 AM
Default New Hondas known for scratching tint?

I just came from the tint shop where I WAS going to get my 07 Accord windows tinted. The guy informed me that the new(er?) Hondas factory window seal has only felt on the outside and just rubber on the inside, and he told me that dirt can get in there(from rolling the window down alot) and scratch/tear the tint, and the "lifetime warranty" on the tint would not be covering the scratches or tears due to the design of the window seal. He said that not ALL would do it, but he just wanted to forewarn me that it COULD do it, and they wouldn't cover it. He said the new Mustangs are the same way. Was he just trying to put a "loophole" in his warranty or have any of you had this problem? I passed on getting it done because $240 is alot to risk IF it did scratch the tint by rolling the window up/down. He said he could modify my window seals by cutting the lip off the factory seal then applying felt tape to the inside seal. I didn't think that was a good idea either. Can anyone shed some light on this subject?

Old 05-26-2007, 11:57 AM
Default RE: New Hondas known for scratching tint?

He spoke the truth. Afterthree years mine has marks on the driver's window but you really have to look in order to see them. If you want to avoid this thengo with the felt. Mine were done with a lifetime warranty anywhere in the US that uses 3M tintfor $160. His price seems a bit stout to me but the scratching/felt was not included or known of atthe time mine was done.

Old 05-27-2007, 09:41 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

i see it on mine, and the tint is only 5 mos old. however, you have to examine it to see it.

Old 05-30-2007, 02:19 PM

That is true. I may go for "baked on" tint like on SUV's for about $ 400-500. If you REALLY have to examine it too see it, who cares. Just try to keep the rubber part clean as much as possible.

Old 06-01-2007, 11:29 PM

I have heard the same thing about the scratching of the tint... my bf workin in a tint shop and all... but supposedly it was from the 2000 Accords and up and i have an 01 and mine hasnt stratched at all... i didnt get the felt in either.. i dunno... maybe it depends on the car

Old 06-01-2007, 11:59 PM

98+ do it, I resolved my issue by placing felt on the inside window track.

Old 06-07-2007, 10:43 AM

Put the friggin felt on. The day I rolled it down is the day many many scratches appeared. Maybe the tint-guy did not clean it well or somthing. I may order a new inside track and place the felt on myself.

Old 07-28-2007, 09:46 AM
kenpo1953
Unregistered

I just bought a 2007 Honda Accord and took it get the windows tinted. The installer said the same thing about the scratching of the tint. He suggested taking it back to the dealer and ask them to install felt. Anyone had any luck in installing felt (either by your self or by the dealer)?

Old 07-28-2007, 07:26 PM

no felt. no problems. not sure what the deal is.

Old 07-29-2007, 04:34 PM

dude, the same crap happened to my car. I had tint installed on my 04 accord and it eneded up scratching my driver window REALLY bad. but not so bad that I cant see.

Quick Reply: New Hondas known for scratching tint?