Appearance Talk about your Accord's interior and exterior mods here.

Painting Engine Cover: Color?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 10:10 AM
Default Painting Engine Cover: Color?

Iam going to paint my two plastic engine covers to match my ext color but mask off the i-VTEC sticker and leave the three lines on each piece black.

Iwas wanting to see if you guys would do3 things for me.

1) recommend which color of Krylon Fusion (link is at bottom) that would best match my ext color of desert mist metallic (you can see a little of this color on the strut tower in the pic).

I was thinking River Rock, butI could always use the Fusion as a primer(because ofhowwell it bonds to plastic)then apply another, better-matching paint. I would love it if any of the part store here carried a small touchup can of my OEcolor, but they don't. The color doesnt have to be exact either.

2) recommend a completely different/better paint process to use in painting these. including different colors, different paints ect and possibly ease my mind of worrying about heat from the engine.

3) not flame me for having such a long post.

EDIT: I couldnt get 'Krylon Fusion' to stay linked when I posted, so here's the link.
http://krylon.com/main/color_product...age_alt=Krylon®%20Fusion

Old 12-15-2007, 10:33 AM
Default RE: Painting Engine Cover: Color?

I don't know much about the krylon fusion, is it a high temp paint? I personally have used high temp rust-oleum (on a BBQ) in the past with pretty good results. I would try to give you some suggestions on paint matching but I know how much difference there is in the appearance of colors from one monitor to the next so I can't give you any ideas there. Have you looked online for the places that color match for you? Why not have lowes color match your car?

Here's some paint that a guy at my work is using to restore an old truck, you just brush it on and it self levels (no marks!).... SWEET stuff, rock solid, rustproof

http://www.por15.com/?gclid=CMKtk9PbqpACFRylYAod41T72w

Old 12-15-2007, 01:49 PM

ORIGINAL: sir_nasty

I don't know much about the krylon fusion, is it a high temp paint? I personally have used high temp rust-oleum (on a BBQ) in the past with pretty good results. I would try to give you some suggestions on paint matching but I know how much difference there is in the appearance of colors from one monitor to the next so I can't give you any ideas there. Have you looked online for the places that color match for you? Why not have lowes color match your car?

Here's some paint that a guy at my work is using to restore an old truck, you just brush it on and it self levels (no marks!).... SWEET stuff, rock solid, rustproof

http://www.por15.com/?gclid=CMKtk9PbqpACFRylYAod41T72w
Is Fusion high temp? No. I have used this fusion on plastics before and it sticks like no other.
I fabbed a console piece out of plexi to go around the shifter inmy Camaro; a friend saw it after I'd painted it w/ Fusion and he thought I had a piece of metal powdercoated. Its cool stuff.
However I thought about HiTemp stuff being safer in that kind of heat, but it probably won't bond as well as Fusion would.
Im not real sure what to do. This is more than likely a dumb question, but... can Lowe's mix up aerosol cans? If they mixed it in a regular canI would need a sprayer and compressor which my father jacked bothof from methis summer.

btw that pro15 looks like good stuff. im just a up front buyer i dont buy much online anymore.

Old 12-15-2007, 02:58 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

If you were painting the actual valve cover I would use high temp paint, but it just plastic trim. If the plastic doesn't get ruined by the heat I doubt the paint will.

Old 12-15-2007, 03:08 PM

those plastics can take a lot of heat.... I guess you could always try it and then fix it if it flakes off

Old 12-16-2007, 10:10 AM

those plastics can take a lot of heat.... I guess you could always try it and then fix it if it flakes off
is flaking the worst that would happen under high temps?

Old 12-16-2007, 03:50 PM

ORIGINAL: dan_o_89_rs

is flaking the worst that would happen under high temps?
Thats funny i was just gonna scroll down and ask that I wanted to do this to my car but Safety first, i dont want to catch my car on fire lol.....

Old 12-16-2007, 05:01 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

I painted the head shield that covers the manifold in my car and used high temp spray paint. Worked fine, and no fires! I think the paint I used was for grilling? I forget. Got it at Lowes.

Old 12-16-2007, 05:24 PM

Just go to Auto Zone or Advance and get some high temp paint. I think it stands up to 1200 degrees. I've used it on friends cars and it holds nicely on valve covers, heat shields, etc.

Old 12-16-2007, 05:54 PM

DO NOT USE THE KRYLON FUSIONCRAP

I just tried it out on my cover, and now im probly going to have to flake it all off, it sticks like crap. it just kind of runs off......In my humble opinion, do not use it.

Quick Reply: Painting Engine Cover: Color?