Appearance Talk about your Accord's interior and exterior mods here.

a-pillar gauges

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 12:27 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered
Default a-pillar gauges

Hey guys,
I'm planning on buying an a-pillar mount with 3 holes for 52mm gauges. I know i'm going to get voltage and was thinking water or oil temperature and oil pressure possibly. Do you guys know how hard it is to install by chance, as I've never done this before. The part i'm worried about are the sensors or units that monito the oil pressure and where they go.Thanks!

Here are the gauges + pillar (Anyone know of the quality?)

Voltage
Oil Pressure
Oil Temp
Pillar

Old 07-01-2006, 12:53 PM
Default RE: a-pillar gauges

These gauges should be pretty simple to install since they use included electrical senders. What you will need though is a T fitting. This T fitting (I want to say 1/4" NTP fittings, but someone please double check me) will go where your current oil pressure sender is (should be right above the oil filter). If you want to keep your stock oil pressure sender and the light it operates, you'll need another T. Then you'll screw in a T fitting into the hole in the block. Then connect the senders for the gauges to the T (with teflon tape on the threads). If you want to retain the stock sending unit for oil pressure, screw in the 2nd T into one of the empty spots on the first T, then screw in the stock sender and the other sender for the gauge. You may want to extend the T fitting out with a small piece of pipe so you have room to work with things. All these little hardware parts can be found at your local hardware store for a few bucks.

Just be sure to check for leaks when you are finished. And you may as well do an oil change while you're in there. Bring the senders with you when you go to the store to make sure you get the right pieces.

Old 07-01-2006, 12:57 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Thanks for the reply mbo Does the Oil temperature or water temperature require the same thing? I was looking for some gauges that are a little easire to install! Any ideas? They have some more gauges if you click the link at the bottom of one of those pages. If not, then I might give it a try...

Also do you think the pillar mouint should be gray or black? I'm debating b/c the gauges are black, but my current pillars are grey!

Old 07-01-2006, 01:24 PM

As far as the pillar color goes, that's up to you . I would personally go with black, but you're the boss.

Electric guages are probably the easiest to install. Oil temp would install at exactly the same place as the oil pressure (on the T fitting). Water temp would have to be connected into the cooling system somewhere. I'm sure you could so the same thing (with T fittings) where an exsisting temp sensor is located. I would drain the coolant to do it safely (as I would drain the oil for the oil gauges).

The only other option for gauges are mechanical. A mechanical oil pressure gauge will have some tubing and some fittings. You would still need to connect the stuff to the block, but if the tubing becomes kinked or it cracks, you could leak oil and that wouldn't be cool at all. The mechanical temp sensors work fine, they're just a slower to update the readings. I would still say electric is easier to install since if you bend or kink the mechanical tubing, it may not work at all.

Old 07-01-2006, 02:29 PM

My color Opinion: black is going to make it stand out a bit more and look more like a mod, more noticeable but still sleek and sharp looking (if your window's are tinted a fair amount then only you/your passengers will care...

Grey is going to match what you've got and give it that almost stock/sporty feel. Like it was something cool the dealership did or more like the car was bad to begin with... My opinion: the black will look more sharp and noticeable but the grey has a better Feng Shui *L*

Old 07-03-2006, 10:50 AM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Well I ordered the gauges but am still debating on the pod color! I was kind of thinking that if its black then everything will blend in and might look weird considering thew other a pillar is gray. But then black gauges on a gray pillar? I think i'm leaning more towards gray but I still am not sure!

Old 07-03-2006, 08:23 PM

black and grey might look really good. I change my mind, I'm going to say go with grey now.

Old 07-04-2006, 12:41 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

lol I ordered the gray one! I figured black on black...may be a little to black and boring! haha Thanks for your help guys! Once I recieve them ill be buying some t-fittings and installing them

Old 07-04-2006, 01:39 PM

Sounds like a plan. If you run into a problem, we'll be here to help. Don't forget the teflon tape either!

Old 07-04-2006, 02:09 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Thanks Don't worry, my dad said you guys were correct to add teflon tape. Hes a mechanic at Nestle!

Quick Reply: a-pillar gauges