Appearance Talk about your Accord's interior and exterior mods here.

Question about cleaning rims and leak goes to trunk

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 01:53 AM
Default Question about cleaning rims and leak goes to trunk

Hello,

I have a 91 honda accord LX and have the factory chrome rims on it, which are a little dusty.. they look like this

they are pretty dirty, what is the best / cheap way to make them sparkle again? thats how they look now (maybe a little dirtier), i would like to make them look like this

(how do the tires look so shiney and black, black spray paint?)

also..

I noticed after it rains, if i open my trunk some water leaks into my trunk after i open it like the seal is not good or something around the trunk area, so the water fills in a spot and when i open the trunk it pours into the inside of the trunk.. any ideas on how to fix this?

Im steadly fixing this car up and love it so far, and any help is appriciated, thanks! :-)

Last edited by bustedhonda; 08-02-2009 at 02:09 AM.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:20 AM

hey there busted, i would suggest for the rims maybe an acid wash just to get that crap off. it looks a little scratched too so you wont get that out. if the acid doesnt work get a good wash and pressure wash it and after either one of those put a good polish on. i suggest to get one of those powerball to put on a drill. that should get into those tight areas.

and the trunk... do you park on a downhill where the water can lay up on the gasket?

Old 08-02-2009, 01:04 PM

im not sure about if it'll work with your rims, But i bought chrome 17's and they were just faded and dirty, Bought a bottle of Noxon, Scrubbed each rim in and out with it, looks mint now

Rims before cleaning
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/b...5/IMG01226.jpg

Rims After Cleaning
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/b...5/IMG01227.jpg

Old 08-02-2009, 01:47 PM

Pete, Im in Florida so theres not many hills my car wont fit all the way under the car port so the back half of it gets rained on, or even if i just park it while at work and it rains, it seems that when i pop my trunk water seems to drain or something and pour from the right side in a stream into the inside of the trunk

also thanks for the suggestions I will try them out to get these rims sparlking again, EBK wow that Noxon stuff seems to work very well

Old 08-02-2009, 02:00 PM

it works excellent, it only took me about 30 minutes to do all four rims, wash the rims with chrome rim cleaner (you can buy them at autozone for like $3 for the bottle) just so it gets the surface dirt off, the scrub the noxon on with a towel, or w.e you have laying around, the use another towel to wipe it off, do a section of your rim, let it sit for a couple seconds then wipe it off, then when your all done, wash again with the chrome rim cleaner, and it'll look mint. Good luck. And BTW that bottle of noxon, is only $5 at your local hardware store.

Old 08-02-2009, 03:35 PM

ebk your rims were crome tho. his look alumium, will i work on that tho

Old 08-02-2009, 04:45 PM

Pete, oh ok I did not know it made a difference. So if they are aluminium i should use an acid wash? im guessing i can get acid wash at a hardware store? I've never heard of a powerball but just got a new drill to try it with on the rims, thanks!

Old 08-02-2009, 05:02 PM

The bottle says it cleans Stainless steel, Aluminum, Chrome, Pewter, Brass, Bronze, Copper. Dude pay for the shipping and ill mail you the rest of my bottle, its over half full.

Old 08-02-2009, 05:14 PM

ok i guess EBK's stuff is what to go with. i didnt know it did all that cuz i've never heard of it. Sorry EBK!

as for the powerball for your drill. its by mothers
here's there website: http://www.mothers.com/02_products/0...s_01_line.html
Im from canada so i wont know exactly where to tell you to go but this site will

Old 08-02-2009, 05:38 PM

Ahhh I see, cool. Thanks for the offer EBK but I think for 5$ I will just pick a bottle of it up before school tommarow since their is a hardware store right there. After I clean the rim off I'll post a picture of my car. I still have to do something with the paint, just got a new air compressor and the componant inside the car that you control the AC with and had some electrical problems sorted out. I will need to fix the 2 front windows tint also because it has some bubbles in the tint, but the problem is the tint is really really dark, i think it was put on in the early 90's before limo tint / really dark tint was illegal. Is my tint grandfathered in so i cant get a ticket? hehe i dunno but thanks, I swear these 91 accord ex's are soldiers.. ive got 150k miles and it still runs like new.

edit:: sorry edited the wrong post by accident

Last edited by bustedhonda; 08-03-2009 at 11:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Question about cleaning rims and leak goes to trunk