Appearance Talk about your Accord's interior and exterior mods here.

replacing headlights

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 01:50 AM
Question replacing headlights

I am going to be replacing my headlights soon as the originals are yellowing and have a bad case of oxidation. I am looking at getting jdm style replacements with black housing and either clear or amber turn signals. While researching these I have found some that are DOT/SAE stamped and some that are not. The stamped headlights tend to be about $30 more than the others.
Is there any leagal issues concerning replacing the headlights. Do they have to be DOT/SAE stamped? Are non-stamped ones illegal?

Thanks in advance
-Corey

Old 10-13-2009, 10:07 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

If they dont have a DOT stamp then technically you can get a ticket. However, i highly doubt an officer would look unless you in in Cali.

Just get a set of Depo blackhoused headlights and you should be fine.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:28 AM

ok thanks for the tip......except I do live in California (a blessing and a curse). I'll probably get the DOT/SAE stamped ones just to be safe....I'd rather pay the extra $30 than the ticket.

Old 10-14-2009, 02:24 AM
Administrator
Exclamation

Better to not screw with the law in California..that would give them an excuse to taser you if you dont have the correct ones installed in your car

Old 10-14-2009, 02:48 AM

Or throw me on the ground, kick me in the head, and then give each other high fives. (all so-cal residents will know what i'm talking about).......they can go a little overboard sometimes.

California = great weather, stupid laws

Old 10-21-2009, 04:12 PM
Question

Since I will be buying my new headlights on Friday, I was looking into how to replace them on the vehicle. These are the basic steps that I could find -

"Use Philips screwdriver to remove screws for the turn signal housings in the bumper. These are located in the air intake vent in the center of the bumper cover. The screws go in at an angle, one on each side. From the center, gently pry the housings out. Twist the bulb sockets to disconnect.
Use Philips screwdriver to remove screws from tabs in the top of the corner parking lights, gently pry forward to remove from fenders. Don't skip this step, or the bumper cover coming back can break these fragile parts very easily.
Use a long extension and a 12mm socket through the turn signal openings, remove the bolts that hold the brackets to the front radiator support. Four bolts total, there are one on each side of both brackets. Note, do not remove either bolt from on top of the brackets.
Remove the small bolts from each upper corner of the bumper cover, up in the wheel well opening. The bumper should now lift up and then pull forward, with the cover still attached. Remove 10mm bolts from the headlight housing. They are on top, and on each lower corner. These are NOT accessible with the bumper and cover still installed, on any 1994-1997 Accord."

I don't know how accurate this is so if anyone has done this do you have and comments, advise or pointers? Any help is appreciated..THANKS!!!

P.S. I'll post pics of the process once they are installed

Old 10-21-2009, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator

It is a rather overly difficult and frustrating job removing the headlights on 94-97 accords. You have to removed the bumper to get the headlights off. And by bumper I mean the whole bumper rail not just the plastic cover. The steps you listed seem accurate.

Old 10-21-2009, 05:45 PM

ok thanks, I actually bought them today and should get them in 3-4 days. Any idea how long it will take? (My guess is 1-2 hours)

Old 10-21-2009, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah that sounds about right.

Old 10-24-2009, 01:09 AM
Smile yes...finally!

Got my new headlights today...gonna install them tomorrow morning. I will post pics of the car before and after. I might try to start a thread on how to install them with pictures and clear directions.

Quick Reply: replacing headlights