Appearance Talk about your Accord's interior and exterior mods here.

steering wheel illegal

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 08:45 PM
Default steering wheel illegal

so I have a 95 accord, which is not a new car by any means but i really wanted to get an aftermarket ricer wheel lol cuz i wanted a quick release hub to remove my steering wheel in like 2 seconds. anyways i know its illegal unless you didnt have an airbag orginally, but how will they know if ive had one or not?

Old 04-04-2008, 05:02 PM
Default RE: steering wheel illegal

Airbags became mandatory in the US after model year 1989. From my limited knowledge of the statutes it is illegal to remove a working air bag. How ever if your airbag has been "deployed"I dont believe it is illegal to replace it with a non-air bag wheel

My question is where do you live that the cops harrass you that much? If I got a ticket for not having an airbag I would rip up the ticket andlaugh until my sides hurt.

Viva Las Vegas!!

Old 04-04-2008, 06:19 PM

Replace the wheel and say it didn't have one when you bought the car. The previous owner did the mod not you....

Old 04-04-2008, 06:27 PM

good call sir nasty!

oh and i live in a town where, legit, NOTHING HAPPENS. cops here are bored. one cop was overlooking road construction, it was a little wet outside, and I was at a 4 way stop intersection. i kinda stepped on the accelerator a bit too hard, so the wheels start spinning and i went no where. then when my car started moving the cop came up to my car and told me to pull over. i got ticketed for "high and obstructive noise" and "failure to use caution starting", wtf is that BS!?! 85 dollars lol but im gonna fight it.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:11 PM

ORIGINAL: EzraFitch1990

good call sir nasty!

oh and i live in a town where, legit, NOTHING HAPPENS. cops here are bored. one cop was overlooking road construction, it was a little wet outside, and I was at a 4 way stop intersection. i kinda stepped on the accelerator a bit too hard, so the wheels start spinning and i went no where. then when my car started moving the cop came up to my car and told me to pull over. i got ticketed for "high and obstructive noise" and "failure to use caution starting", wtf is that BS!?! 85 dollars lol but im gonna fight it.
haha...man that really sucks..yea i wouldnt even pay for that

Old 04-04-2008, 08:42 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

That's kinda like when the NYC cop gave a pregnant woman a ticket for loitering because she sat down to rest for a minute on a subway stairway, or aguy on a loading dock that got a ticket for misuse of property for sitting on a milkcrate while taking a smoke break!

I got pulled over for turning left from the left lane of 5th ave onto 42nd St. in NYC. Remember that NYC ismostly 1 way. There were no signs and the only way that you are supposed to know is that the green light is an up arrow. The cops were just parked there flagging down 4-5 cars at a time. Luckily I had a Cheif's Association card on me, but they made me sign it! I try to not sign them in case I'm taking a long drive or road trip with friends so I can pass it off if need be. ..... which reminds me, I need to get an '08 card. All I have right now is a Speisiale (sp?) '07 card (Sherrif's assn. - Passaic cty., NJ)

Old 04-05-2008, 08:23 AM

Why would you even want a quick release hub to removeyour steering wheel? You just said you live in a town where NOTHING happens so i don't think you have to worry about somebody stealing your car? Why not take that money and buy a better mod for your car unless you have every thing else

Old 04-05-2008, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator

I dont think a ticket from the cops would be the problem, it would be inspection if your state requires yearly inspection.

Old 12-04-2009, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by Xv7vX;110863[U
]Airbags became mandatory in the US after model year 1989.[/U] From my limited knowledge of the statutes it is illegal to remove a working air bag. How ever if your airbag has been "deployed"I dont believe it is illegal to replace it with a non-air bag wheel

My question is where do you live that the cops harrass you that much? If I got a ticket for not having an airbag I would rip up the ticket andlaugh until my sides hurt.

Viva Las Vegas!!
if that is so then how come my 93 dsm doesnt have airbags? did eagle just say screw that law?

Old 12-04-2009, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

Beginning about 1989 or 1990 a certain percentage of cars had to have "passive restraints". That could be airbags($$$) or motorized seat belts or even those seatbelts that were attached to the door itself. Airbags were expensive, so many cars had the alternatives.

Over the next couple years, it became ALL cars.

Then over the following 10 years or so, most car companies ditched the motorized seat belts & other gadgets, & used airbags.

Quick Reply: steering wheel illegal