Appearance Talk about your Accord's interior and exterior mods here.

thinking of tinting my taillights, need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 06:44 PM
Default RE: thinking of tinting my taillights, need opinions

decided to do a test run on my rear bumper lights, just to see how it would turn out, what do you guys think?

[IMG]local://upfiles/15707/C5EFB1F4199544608537E8707C4DE6C2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/15707/D5B0DF8AE92D461BAB76D4EB82C18371.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/15707/0BC003FB44934258A52A458526EF7D1B.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/15707/7128DFBF9ADC4013BECFD99FD8C8EF32.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-14-2008, 07:04 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I don't like how they look in relation to the bright blue paint, but the quality of it looks really good! Good luck on doing the tails!

Old 05-14-2008, 07:11 PM

yea, i was thinking the same thing, i was hoping it would make me want ot tint the tails for sure, but now i am questioning if i have the best color paint for the job, it is a small area so it might look better with the tails, i don't know, confused about what i am going to do.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:09 PM

does anyone know what the blue tint spray would look like? probably not too good with the res lens behind it????

Old 05-14-2008, 09:23 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Ill be doing that to my bumper lights. Thanks for the pics! hehe

Did you just do the outside? I wonder if doing both sides would make it look any different.

Old 05-14-2008, 10:42 PM

IMO i dont really like the tints on the lens'. But the tint job on the side markers look like it was done well, good job. i want to do tints myself but i was always worried about it bubbling. if that would happen it would look really ugly. i see lots of bubble tints where i live.

Kahnvict- well everyone says to put them in the oven but i was uncomfortable with doing that and didnt know how long to keep them in for so i used a paint heat gun to take them apart. i heated the area where the housing and the lens were glued together and took a flathead screwdriver and slowely pryed the lens' apart. i slowely worked my way around the lens until it was completely off. when they were apart i removed as much glue as possible and i heated the housing part again and bent it back in its original form because the plastic was all bent up. I then took out that huge ugly amber square, cleaned the surface and used duplicolor flat black paint. When that was done i went to the hardware store and bought DAP silicone sealant. It is waterproof, minimal shrinkage and meant for seams so i went for it. Plus it was like 3 bucks a tube. i filled the housing area with the silicone and put the lens back on. to be safe i went wround the lens after it was together to make sure it wont leak. I let it dry and went to the carwash and No Leaks! just to let you know this probably isnt the best way to do this but i bought these lights for 20 bucks on ebay so i gave it a shot. The silicone i used prob isnt the best either but it holds great and it doesnt leak and thats all i care about.

I just put the pics up on my cardomain now so you can see a comparison between the old lights and the "new" ones. With that flat black paint i painted the hood and trunk H's on my car. Let me know what you guys think about that too. Hope what i said helps. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599644

Old 05-14-2008, 11:08 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Pretty sure the side markers and turn signals are melted together rather than glued like the headlights and taillights.

Old 05-15-2008, 02:57 AM

19accord97 - i just did that on the outside, it does look very good IMO but against my blue paint i think it loses some attractivness but maybe the blue tint would work better, but i am not sure b/c of the red lens??

fopokev - again your car is real clean looking, definatly upgraded when you blacked out the white part of your taillight, i definatly love your grille, and you corner and headlight combo, where did you get those and how much did they cost?

to get that beautiful clean look on my rear bumper lens, was easy, prep prep prep, light scuff with 1500, clean with dawn dish liquid and warm water, do not touch them after cleaned b/c oils on your fingers will mess it up, 3 coats black tint spray, 2 coats clear , meguires polish and done! will be probably stripping it off tomorrow and trying it with blue tint

Old 05-15-2008, 06:41 PM

Kahnvict- thanks for the comments i really appreciate it. There are alot of little chips and scuffs onmy carbut i try to keep it clean as possible but the rust on the rear quarters bugs me the most. i work at a carwash while im in school so that helps alot with keepin it clean. I bought the lights off of ebay. They are the depo ones. The headlights came with all black clear corner lights so i bought the corner lights i have now separate. i think overall they were like 100 bucks. The corner lights i have on now are only accepts one bulb compared to the original ones were there are two so i had to cut the plastic frame of the headlights to put them on. the way the corner lights screw in to the headlights and how they fit into the fender i was able to cut the frame of the headlights to put them in. kinda ghetto rigged it but they fit and work just fine. I am looking to get the type r grill or the mugengrill so if i get my hands on one ill sell you my grill or give it to you if you want but youll have to paint it of course. So do you have a car domain where i can see your car? Im always interested in what ppl are doing to their 94-97 accords. I think you should definitly try the blue tints, i think that would look much better on your side markers. Check out ebay, i seen precut taillight tints for a 94-95 accord so they might have some for your year too.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:27 PM

fopoke- yea i would definatly buy that grille off you, do you know the seller you bought those lights from, i need the same ones, and were you saying you bought different corner lenses that attach to the headlights not to the frame of the car??, no car domain yet, was gonna clean it and wax it this weekend and put one up, my camera had been on the fritz, is why i don't have one yet, anyways keep me posted on your grille situation, and let me know the names of the sellers to get those nice lights from

Quick Reply: thinking of tinting my taillights, need opinions