Appearance Talk about your Accord's interior and exterior mods here.

Window Tint

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 06:29 AM
Default Window Tint

Am having my windows (all but windshield) this coming Saturday. This is a black Accord with black interior. Any suggestions on tint level? I am leaning towards Suntek 35 but thinking it may be too dark? I don't want to have to put my windows down to see my mirrors when in the dark. I live in NJ where it is illegal to tint the front windows without a prescription from an opthamologist, which I have. I don't want to constantly be harassed by the police. My wife thinks my car is going to get broken into or stolen because of this treatment? Any thoughts here as well? Should I go the next step lighter to the 45?
Thanks!

Old 08-16-2015, 01:14 PM

No matter what the black on black is going to make the windows look even darker. Personally I'd say go with the lighter one. It can be hard to see backing up at night with dark tint.

Old 08-16-2015, 04:59 PM

'To each their own'... if it were my car though, I would go lighter for all of the reasons already mentioned above

Besides, a very dark tint is more for show than practicality

Old 08-16-2015, 07:00 PM

I was leaning more towards the lighter after due thought. It's only that the car interior gets very hot(like you all don't know this) and I have my cars for a long time, so I was also thinking of lessening the fading of the interior due to the suns rays.

Old 08-16-2015, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Biffy44
I was leaning more towards the lighter after due thought. It's only that the car interior gets very hot(like you all don't know this) and I have my cars for a long time, so I was also thinking of lessening the fading of the interior due to the suns rays.
You're reasoning is valid. Yes, the interior can and does get hot in a short time.
To help ventilate my Accord, I purchased a pair of rain-guard, side window air deflectors from one of this forum's sponsors... Carid. These reflectors are in-channel and are custom fit by WeatherTech. Good quality and do not glue/tape to the exterior of the vehicle

Here is a link to their page: 2015 Honda Accord Wind Deflectors | Rain Guards | Window Visors

With the deflectors installed, I can now leave the front windows 'cracked' just a bit which does seem to reduce the interior temperature gained while the vehicle is parked... plus, they're a great addition for ventilation during rain

Last edited by Prospector; 08-16-2015 at 08:58 PM.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Prospector
You're reasoning is valid. Yes, the interior can and does get hot in a short time.
To help ventilate my Accord, I purchased a pair of rain-guard, side window air deflectors from one of this forum's sponsors... Carid. These reflectors are in-channel and are custom fit by WeatherTech. Good quality and do not glue/tape to the exterior of the vehicle

Here is a link to their page: 2015 Honda Accord Wind Deflectors | Rain Guards | Window Visors

With the deflectors installed, I can now leave the front windows 'cracked' just a bit which does seem to reduce the interior temperature gained while the vehicle is parked... plus, they're a great addition for ventilation during rain
Though I think the idea is a great one, especially since Hondas are not known for their ventilation systems during very humid conditions, I think the fit of the Weathertech wind deflectors was atrocious. I put a set on my 2004 Accord and did not like them at all. They slipped up/down when I moved the windows up/down. I'm not crazy about their looks either.
Thanks for the suggestion though!

Old 08-17-2015, 12:49 PM

Though I think the idea is a great one, especially since Hondas are not known for their ventilation systems during very humid conditions, I think the fit of the Weathertech wind deflectors was atrocious. I put a set on my 2004 Accord and did not like them at all. They slipped up/down when I moved the windows up/down. I'm not crazy about their looks either.
Thanks for the suggestion though!
I've had 4 sets of WeatherTech window reflectors on 4 different cars with no issues on any of them... all fit and performed perfectly

The most common mistake people make when installing the in-channel deflectors is not seating the bottom of the deflector inside the window channel. When first seeing a deflector of this type, it appears that the bottom tab should rest outside of the channel... however this is not correct and will cause the issue you describe. Also important is to allow the deflectors to 'rest' with windows fully up for a full 24 hours after installation.

Early on, the installation instructions were less than clear as to proper seating, however more recently, WT states 'Be Sure'... 'Important'... to seat the bottom tab inside the window channel

Last edited by Prospector; 08-17-2015 at 12:51 PM.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:42 PM

I've had 4 sets of WeatherTech window reflectors on 4 different cars with no issues on any of them... all fit and performed perfectly

The most common mistake people make when installing the in-channel deflectors is not seating the bottom of the deflector inside the window channel. When first seeing a deflector of this type, it appears that the bottom tab should rest outside of the channel... however this is not correct and will cause the issue you describe. Also important is to allow the deflectors to 'rest' with windows fully up for a full 24 hours after installation.

Early on, the installation instructions were less than clear as to proper seating, however more recently, WT states 'Be Sure'... 'Important'... to seat the bottom tab inside the window channel
I would say it was about 4 years ago I tried the set on my 2004 and I think I remember reading this statement(thinking I followed it) and I know for sure I let the windows a deflectors sit for 24 hours. Maybe I did do something wrong?

Old 08-18-2015, 12:44 PM

I would say it was about 4 years ago I tried the set on my 2004 and I think I remember reading this statement(thinking I followed it) and I know for sure I let the windows a deflectors sit for 24 hours. Maybe I did do something wrong?
I'm not saying that you did anything wrong, Biffy... all I can say for certain is that I've had 4 sets and they all worked as designed.

Plus, our forum's sponsor, Carid, and WeatherTech both stand behind their products which means that exchanging them is not an issue

Old 08-18-2015, 06:13 PM

I'm not saying that you did anything wrong, Biffy... all I can say for certain is that I've had 4 sets and they all worked as designed.

Plus, our forum's sponsor, Carid, and WeatherTech both stand behind their products which means that exchanging them is not an issue
Good to know. I have never heard of Carid. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Window Tint