Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   1993 Honda Accord LX Rear Deck Speakers (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/1993-honda-accord-lx-rear-deck-speakers-41020/)

BillieJackFu 06-24-2011 10:39 PM

1993 Honda Accord LX Rear Deck Speakers

I would really like a detailed explanation on how to remove the factory rear deck speakers. They are both dead. Tested the wires for power with some Kenwood 6.5's from my old car, wires are fine.

Hopefully I won't have to tear apart too much just to replace some speakers.

Let me know.

Thanks

neophyte 06-24-2011 10:58 PM

if it is anything like an 03.

1. go into trunk.
2. look around speaker. there will be plastic clips sticking trough the deck.
3. pop those up.
4. go in back seat.
5. remove cover
6. remove screws holding speakers in.
7. pull speakers out
8. (this step can be done from trunk or once you lift speakers) disconect wire harness.
10. profit.

keep_hope_alive 06-24-2011 11:34 PM

i love steps 9. and 10. but i didn't see collect underwear... :)

i suspect a 93 is vastly different from even mine or newer. many times the factory speaker grill is secured from below - inside the trunk. in mine you have access to two screws per grill that come off, allowing access without removing the entire liner.

BillieJackFu 06-25-2011 12:20 AM

I have been beating my head against the wall with this for the past day and a half. Then my dad says he thinks he has a Haynes manual for it. Sure enough 90-93 Accord manual.

So I'm going to give instructions, since other people might want to know.

1: Inside Trunk, 3 nuts, per speaker, undo the nuts.
2: Unplug factory harness.
3: Lift whole bucket from top.
4: Unscrew grill (4 screws) from bottom of bucket.
5: Unscrew speaker (3 screws) from top of bucket.

Reverse to reinstall.

My dad also said to use wire clips as to not cut the factory wire plug for use later or for resale. This is optional of course, you can cut the wires if you want.

KnetW 06-27-2011 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by neophyte (Post 244919)

10. profit.

Hey!

That's 2/3 of my new business plan! That was supposed to be secret!

keep_hope_alive 06-28-2011 09:36 AM

Thanks for the info. You can get factory clip adapters so no wires are cut, but aftermarket speakers use .250 female disconnects and it is highly unlikely someone will reinstall a factory speaker in the future.

neophyte 06-28-2011 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by KnetW (Post 245181)
Hey!

That's 2/3 of my new business plan! That was supposed to be secret!

that is a 100% fool proof way to guarantee success.

BillieJackFu 06-29-2011 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive (Post 245276)
Thanks for the info. You can get factory clip adapters so no wires are cut, but aftermarket speakers use .250 female disconnects and it is highly unlikely someone will reinstall a factory speaker in the future.

I just used some wire clips with a spade receptacle, some fancy clips my dad had in his garage.

bigpat 06-30-2011 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by BillieJackFu (Post 244930)
I have been beating my head against the wall with this for the past day and a half. Then my dad says he thinks he has a Haynes manual for it. Sure enough 90-93 Accord manual.

So I'm going to give instructions, since other people might want to know.

1: Inside Trunk, 3 nuts, per speaker, undo the nuts.
2: Unplug factory harness.
3: Lift whole bucket from top.
4: Unscrew grill (4 screws) from bottom of bucket.
5: Unscrew speaker (3 screws) from top of bucket.

Reverse to reinstall.

My dad also said to use wire clips as to not cut the factory wire plug for use later or for resale. This is optional of course, you can cut the wires if you want.

This is the exact sequence that I used to remove and replace my rear deck speakers last week on my 1993 Accord LX. Not too hard to do, just take your time and do it right. Be sure to check the polarity of the speaker wiring to get the most sound and best results. The original speakers had completely rotted away to almost nothing. Next will be replacement of the front speakers in the doors. That will be a drag since I will need to remove the door panels and safely unplug all power door lock and window switches...YIKES !! Re-assembly is always a nail biter....