Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

1998 Accord Radio swap/repl.

Old 05-19-2013, 10:34 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 1998 Accord Radio swap/repl.

Our 98 Accord dx has a basic am/fm/ single cd radio in it. It no longer plays cd's. Are there better Honda oem radios I could swap in? Or would they require wiring I do not have? Any suggested replacements? I understand I will need a code from Honda to activate the radio?...

Old 05-19-2013, 10:05 PM
Senior Member Stereo Guru..Almost A Mod :)

with a sixth gen, I would just get an aftermarket deck. you will get a lot more for your money that way.

Old 05-27-2013, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator

yep, the wire harness and mounting kit are cheap and an aftermarket gives you modern features for less than the cost of a factory. it will also help the speakers sound better.

if you want a factory unit, i have a 98-02 compatible 6-disc + cassette with the Code that I can sell you. it would be plug and play. works perfectly.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:02 AM

i had similar problems with dadcanic, my cd's player in accord 98 didn't play so i have to go for an aftermarket products called 'audiola Dvx710rds/t and is touch screen. Is working fine after installation

Old 06-06-2013, 12:16 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I found a u-pull-n-pay junk yard. I'm gonna go check it out this week end. I woun't need any special tools to get one out will I? just Phillips screwdriver. They said they have about 12 accords of various years. Will most years plug right in?

Old 06-06-2013, 07:54 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by dadcanic
I found a u-pull-n-pay junk yard. I'm gonna go check it out this week end. I woun't need any special tools to get one out will I? just Phillips screwdriver. They said they have about 12 accords of various years. Will most years plug right in?
When you pull the radio write down the serial number on the back and you can easily get the unlock code that way.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:00 PM
Senior Member Stereo Guru..Almost A Mod :)

you may need the vin off of the donor car as well.

Old 06-08-2013, 02:50 PM
Newest Of Newbies

thanks! I got too busy today, I hope they are open on Sunday.

Old 06-08-2013, 10:18 PM
Super Moderator

you need a stubby phillips for the two screws under the faceplate, and one longer phillips for the screw behind the clock (clock just pulls out). then the entire face comes off and you remove the A/C harnesses.

from there, the radio is held with four 8mm hex bolts with a phillips inset. i use a 8mm nut driver.

look in the glove box for the code card and record the vehicle VIN.

Old 06-09-2013, 04:11 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I have a 2000 EX. I have always shopped Crutchfield. Got a Jensen Radio/Nav/Bluetooth for under $500. Nice thing about Crutchfield is they provide you with everything you need for the install. They will also give you detailed instructions on how to remove the old radio. I still have my old radio if you are interested. You only have to pay for shipping, BUT would recommend you go with a new aftermarket unit.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1998 Accord Radio swap/repl.