Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

1998 stock stereo question

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 01:29 PM
westofthesun
Unregistered
Default 1998 stock stereo question

Hey all,

New user here...I think I've posted in the right section, but if not, please move and I won't be insulted!

I'm a bit of a car newbie...but I'm going on a long roadtrip and don't want to bother with the iPod frequency takeover device. I was hoping to hardwire to my stock stereo. I've seen the tutorials on how to take the stereo out, which seems simple enough, however before I do this...does my car even have the necessary inputs to do this?

For the record I drive a 4 door 1998 honda accord. Tape deck stereo system...came with the car. I've got rca to 1/8" cables and all that...can someone tell me if I'm lucky enough to just have to pop the stereo out and patch that in?

thanks!

Old 06-01-2009, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator

I don't think so... I think you have to get some device to "fool" the stereo into thinking there's a CD changer installed. There may not be any RCA inputs on the stereo; maybe only some proprietary plug for the changer.
Check with crutchfield dot com.

This would be better in the audio forum, so I'll move it there...
Oh yeah... WELCOME new member!

Old 06-01-2009, 03:41 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Jim is right, there is no stock radio with RCA inputs, but there should be a proprietary plug for adding a CD changer. If your an electronic wizz you could probably do it yourself. I think I remember reading that with the 6th gen, you only had to ground one of the pins, then you could wire your RCA's to the audio input pins. If you go over to the 6gen forums I'm sure you'll find what I'm talking about. If that is out of your league you can search for an AUX input interface for your year accord, they do exist. But your on the right track, those FM transmitters are about as bad as it gets. If your desperate for the trip and don't have time to order the interface, I would get one of those tapes that allow you to hook up an AUX input. Still not as good as the interface, but still much better than the FM transmitter.