Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

2000 Accord EX Only One Speaker Working

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 07:04 PM
Default 2000 Accord EX Only One Speaker Working

Hi,
I am new to these forums and I have been trying to seek answers on here without having to make a new thread however, I ran out of options and I am seeking help.

I have 2000 Honda Accord EX Manual which I bought used recently, there are 6 speakers; 2 tweeters, 2 front speakers, 2 rear speakers.
Only the passenger side speakers get sound (and even that seems to be blown because its very low and occasionally it'll pop in and go loud) all other speakers do not work.

I wanted to know what would be the path for troubleshooting? Is it possible that all speakers need to be replaced? Or can it be a wiring issue? What is the best way to test the speaker?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

-2000 Honda Accord EX

Old 12-21-2013, 07:45 PM
Senior Member Stereo Guru..Almost A Mod :)

It is possible that all the speakers are bad. It is possible th t it is another issue. Is it Fzctory stereo or after market.

You can take a dmm and test each speaker to make sure it is getting power. That would be the first step.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:41 PM

The car has factory speakers and stereo. DMM is a multimeter tester? That would involve removal of each speaker and testing its connectivity?

Old 12-21-2013, 09:33 PM

dmm is digital multi meter. yes it is going to require removal of speakers.
you could start at the headunit and work the opposite way, but the fastest most effective route is going to be to start at the end of the line and work backwards. the rear deck speakers are easy. you can access them through the trunk. just climb on back there and unplug them and try test it. depending on the results maybe able to make an educated guess as to what is going on.

now I am thinking that it sounds like your head unit is going out if the speakers work but at a low volume. blown speakers dont work. however unless you are planning on changing the headunit any way, that is an expensive way of troubleshooting.

Old 12-21-2013, 11:10 PM

Thank you
I am sorry for sounding stupid but what is a head unit? Is that the radio?

Old 12-22-2013, 10:04 AM

yes the head unit is the radio.
you dont sound stupid. there is nothing wrong with asking questions.

Old 12-22-2013, 10:29 AM

hmm.. okay. I'll take that route first. See if I can get an inexpensive head unit try it out. Is it a fairly simple process in replacing the radio as far as wiring goes? Plug and play type situation?

Old 12-22-2013, 06:58 PM

in your car it is farily simple. you will need to buy a wiring harness for your car. they are about ten bux, a dash kit (about ten bux) and the head unit.

Old 12-23-2013, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator

make sure the balance and fader adjustments are centered.

if they are centered, then either the speakers are disconnected, blown, or the head unit is a problem. having sounds come in and out is either a bad connection or problem in the amplifier.

easier to just swap for another factory head unit.

it is possible someone had an aftermarket radio in before and hacked up wiring. removing the head unit will test that.

the stock radio may require a code to activate it if you disconnect power. look for that card.