Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

2011 accord ex-l

Old 03-09-2011, 12:39 PM
Default new sub

thank you all for the input. I was planning to tap into the low end signal before the factory amp and run that to a new amp/sub setup. i would also use the amp power/ground/etc from the factory amp to keep things consistent, but with some extra low end.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:57 PM

will the navi play dvd? or do i have to install another dvd player? if i put tvs in the headrest?

Old 03-10-2011, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator

Don't use factory amp power and ground wires. They are too small for any aftermarket amplifier. You need to run new power and ground wires, sized and fused per amp mfr recommendations. No exceptions.

Last edited by keep_hope_alive; 03-13-2011 at 11:10 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator

Not sure on the navi playing DVDs, nor on it having video outputs.

Most solutions are headrest monitors with integral DVD.

Old 03-13-2011, 11:03 PM

thanx that sounds easier.

Old 03-13-2011, 11:09 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by khowland
I believe this is where you can get in trouble with this vehicle and the premium HU. Without disconnecting either the internal mics used for the ANC or cutting the leads to the internal amp marked ANC, he may get a annoying hum from the added sub. Since this HU is actually a Pioneer product with balanced low level signals feeding the factory amp, the best way to do this is to grap that signal, solder an RCA connector on it and run it to the amp. Clean and without the added ANC. Anything after the factory amp is going to have the ANC signal added to it. It has also been suggested that adding a MATRIX or like line driver to boost the low level in an attempt to counter the bass roll off at low volume levels.

excellent point. I neglected the ANC issue. thanks for jumping in.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:36 AM

New here, Grtz!

Got the same issue on a 2011 coupe. I agree with KHA, but add a ground wire connecting the new ground with the original to eliminate ground loop.

What is ANC?

Thanks!

Old 06-06-2011, 05:34 PM

Sorry, I did find a post describing the mics for ANC, which I am curious in learning more about. Ill search more.

So, I promised myself I would *try to stay off it. However, the sub is a joke. I like that they wired it, and I like that there is a space, and I love that they used line levels to feed a separate sub amp. So...

Anyone switched out the factory 8" sub for a bangin one? if so, drop some model #s

Are the doors and rear deck speakers possibly powered by an external amp, by chance?

Thanks, spy

Old 06-07-2011, 10:55 PM
Super Moderator

swapping the factory sub for an aftermarket model will only result in additional disappointment. the factory amp is inadequate, especially for a less efficient aftermarket subwoofer. more bass requires both sub and amp, then an enclosure and wiring and interface and ANC bypass.

i'm not sure if the top end model uses an external amp, i assume it would with a 270W rating. if so, popular locations are behind the glove box and in the trunk. i'd like to know myself.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:33 AM

Yep, i hear ya! not using the factory sub amp, which is external, sits behind the glove box and accepts balance line level input. plan to drop a modest mono amp under the passenger seat, seal and deaden the rear deck and slap a nice 8" sub and be done. this, of course is after i give the doors a serious upgrade, per your instructions. anc will be disabled.

Thanks, Spy

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2011 accord ex-l