Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Adding an amp but with factory unit

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 04:29 PM
Question Adding an amp but with factory unit

I just purchased a 2012 EXL Sedan 4 cyl. Has the 7 speaker (upgraded) system, no navi, but does have dual controls.
I want a little more bang for sound so just as I have done with other cars, looking to upgrade the system even more, but may have to do stages. I am on a budget. Like to stay under $800.
Been to a couple different shops and thought I was headed in right direction, but then I read about this ANC and am now leery to try anything. The last thing I want to do is void any warranty.

I will keep the OEM, but think an added 5-channel amp would be first step (unless someone could tell me no need to pump up current sub). Since this is an upgraded system it has the kevlar speakers so not too bad. Probably a small Alpine 75 or 50/4 + 150/200(sub).
I was going to leave rear speakers alone at this time but possibly upgrade front component speakers though.
Eventually I thought of maybe coming back and changing out rears myself since they're somewhat easier to install.
Honestly, I've never owned a car with a seperate sub so I just don't know how crucial it is to this setup. Its only a 8" anyway.

It sounds like the ANC problem comes from sub. I thought I saw the OEM sub has a seperate amp for it than the other speakers of the car. If that's the case, can I not settle for a 4-channel amp to run front and rears and use the current sub setup? Will this solve ANC?

I still want ot be able to use HFL too. Am I asking too much?

Look forward to any and all info to help make an educated decision.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:53 PM
Senior Member Stereo Guru..Almost A Mod :)

does the car have navigation?

Old 12-07-2011, 05:10 PM

No navigation

Old 12-07-2011, 05:20 PM
Senior Member Stereo Guru..Almost A Mod :)

ok. I know with the acuras and the newer hondas you can simply turn those mics off without hurting anything. But I think it is done through the screen on the navigation.

I am going to let KHA chime in on how to do this. I have never amped a factory system.

this is what I was talking about though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVRME...ature=youtu.be

Old 12-07-2011, 11:58 PM
Super Moderator

i agree you need to defeat the ANC system if you add to the factory.

what you want to do is common. your first piece should be an OEM integration processor - a JBL MS-8 is an excellent first step and will transform the factory speakers (and includes amplification).

Other options are made by MTX, Audio Control, Alpine, JL Audio, etc. You want to take control of the factory signal and add some processing if you want to see big swings in performance.

Your plan to just use a 5-channel amp only works if that amp has sufficient high-level inputs, or if you use an array of LOC's. an integration processor will take all of the speaker outputs, sum them, correct for factory EQ, and give you a cleaner signal.

from there, replacing front speakers is a good idea when you can afford to. but even putting a better amp on the factory speakers will make them sound a lot better. just don't expect big things from the factory sub.

Old 12-08-2011, 01:23 PM
Arrow Thank you

Thanks for direction KHA. Regardless of what I am going to do, any change will warrant me to defeat ANC. Can I still use HFL and voice dialing when I do that?
I have no idea about audio stuff anymore so this is like learning chinese.
Let me see if I understand. I'm not looking for overkill, just some better sound and more volume. Many stereo shops think I'm wanting to rattle and thump at the stop light.....I'm a little too old for that, but enjoy my music louder than I should probably.
1st thing: Get one of these processors. Could you make suggestion? You know whats in the car and I don't want something that I have sepearte controls of or overkill. Want everything, including sub volume and fader stuff to run through OEM as it does now. IE...prefer something that is set and tucked away in the dash (trunk) if necessary and forgotten about.
2nd thing: add an amp. Is this something I should do WITH the processor or can it be afterwards? I'm sensing you'd recomend the 5 channel amp and probably will look to upgrade sub that sooner than I thought.
3rd thing: upgrade front components. Looking at the Alpine S-series (think the R's are a little pricier than what I want or need)
4th thing: upgrade rear deck

I know, I have a lot of questions, but sure do appreciate the time you guys share with me.

Old 12-08-2011, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

JBl MS-8 is my first recommendation. Use the built-in amp, and this is also the cheapest processor/amp combo.

Type-R probably won't fit in the front doors. Look to Hybrid Audio Technologies. Imagine I61-2

Last edited by keep_hope_alive; 12-08-2011 at 02:42 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:06 PM
Lightbulb sorry

After I reread your post, I saw where you already gave me that suggestion.
Now that I am looking at the MS-8, it's only 18W. I'm aware these are much cleaner than OEM currently, but is that enough to make a difference?
I guess try that first, and if still want more power I can come back and add an amp?
I live in OK so some of these items you guys refer to in posts aren't easily findable. I'm not a DIY on this one (unless its as easy as the demo states...which should mean install is reasonable) so will look to see where JBL and the imagine can be found.
How much would you estimate install would be?
Thanks again.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator

The MS-8 amp is worlds better than the stock or a head unit. Most people don't listen to more than 10W into speakers anyway as it would be over 100dBA.

Start with the MS-8 powering the factory speakers. Crutchfield is a good place to buy it from as they will provide all of the necessary instructions and diagrams for DIY. Install on that, using factory wiring, should be around $100. It is similar to installing an amp but with more tuning.

Visit the Hybrid Audio website and look for an authorized dealer, or order direct from Scott B. I have his email if you are interested. I think the HAT imagine series are the best fit for a simple drop-in replacement speaker, both front and rear. They sound great and are very efficient and natural.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:40 PM
Administrator

As usual...great post and information...

Quick Reply: Adding an amp but with factory unit