Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

adding steering wheel audio controls?

Old 11-15-2006, 12:55 PM
robbo
Unregistered
Default adding steering wheel audio controls?

I am considering buying a 2005 Accord LX and wanted to ask a question about steering wheel audio controls. I know the Accord EX has steering wheel mounted audio controls on the left had side of the wheel; my question is has anyone bought the module for the EX and added it to the LX? I know it will fit and where I can buy it, but need installation instructions. I guess there are some wiring issues and it's not just plug-n-play. Thanx in advance.

Old 12-03-2006, 01:55 AM
esp117
Unregistered
Default RE: adding steering wheel audio controls?

I am considering the same thing. Does the LX have the wiring built in? I called a Honda dealer but I think the parts guy was an idiot and told me I need a new steering wheel. It's not for my car so I cant take it apart to verify. Anyone have any experience with this?? Thanks in advance.

Old 12-03-2006, 02:50 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: adding steering wheel audio controls?

Here are two threads about what you want to do, and how to do it.Thread 1, Thread 2. I only glanced at them, I found them in the FAQs on those forums. Hope this helps!

Old 09-19-2011, 07:21 PM
Post Adding steering wheel control to 06 accord lx

This is a possibility. However it is not a simple diy. I purchased an ex steering wheel from ebay. It plugs right into the harness of the lx, but it requires another step to control an aftermarket radio. Two wires must be added to the white wire harness located on the top end of the steering wheel. To access this harness, the steering shaft cover must be removed.
Further, a steering wheel control interface must be used for the aftermarket radio. An excellent choice is the metra axxess aswc module.
When you purchase the ex steering wheel you will notice that it has 2 additional wires that the lx steering wheel does not have. A brown wire and a green wire. These wires must be added to the harness that plugs into the white harness on top of the steering wheel. The wires are then run with the factory wiring and then connected to the axxess steering wheel control. Axxess - grey/red wire is connected to the brown wire added to the harness. The green/black wire is then connected to the ground. That should work.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:03 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the input