Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Am I Finishing My Stereo Project?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 11:43 AM
Default Am I Finishing My Stereo Project?!

In one word...YES. I've ordered a couple things that are finally on their way. A JL 10w7, and to top it all off, an Audiocontrol EQS 6-channel EQ. . Once the sub arrives, starting the sub box next. Get to change my amps display to the floor now showing both amps and EQ using the spare tire well (who needs that anyways...thanks AAA for freeing up some trunk space). I will be posting pictures when i can. Just need a somewhat warm day to start glassing the box. Damn minnesota weather.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:18 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Sounds nice, wish I had the money to do my system right, still putting money off to the side for my processor. I've got other more expensive hobbies that take higher priority. Nice choice on the sub, it is really tough to beat the W7 line especially in the 10" size. My future plans are to replace my CVX with a 10" W7 and replace my fronts with either JL C5s, polk references, or DA hex's. Speaking of which how do you like your hex 500's? I heard them not to long ago and really liked them, although I think they were 400's. That system was far from tuned properly, so I'm hopeful they have even more potential than what I saw. They are also a great deal, was surprised to see how much they sell for. I was expecting them to almost be in the price range of the polk references.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:48 PM

I hear ya. Took me a while to get this far. Its a spendy hobby for sure. I'm real excited for the 10w7. Can't wait to hear how that blends with the rest of the system. The sound reproduction with those subs are insane. No cone noise at all. I love my Hex's. The frequency response is right on. They blend real real nice with the midbass add-on kit too. Takes a good amount of power to run them though. I've got the silk tweeters just because i'm not a big fan of aluminum. To "tinny" sounding to me. My friend has the JL components in his 350z and those are awesome too. I was debating for a while before i got my Diamonds with some Focals Kevlar series. Heard those at a car show. For some reason though i really liked the overall sound of the Diamonds.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:58 PM

I'm always blown away when I hear W7s, they really are in their own class. That's what I really liked about the hex's, I really liked their full range. While my JL's are lacking in mid bass, the highs are very detailed and clean. I also can't stand aluminum or titanium tweets, silk just sound much more natural. Focals are nice, but they are a bit too bright for me. I just can't wait to finally get a processor, I hate not having timing corrections or a real EQ or crossover network. And this processor will let me take advantage of my "lossless" files on my ipod, which was really the deciding factor in getting the alpine imprint processor, the imprint is not the best they have made but it will suffice.

Old 10-11-2009, 02:31 PM

The W7's are definitly in a class of their own. I like the Imprint system. I was thinking about going with that one at first, but I'd have to get a new headunit. That will work real nice for you though. Thats half the reason why I'm rockin the 9855 for so long because there is nothin else that i like with the settings it has. I have the time correction and 5 band parametric but EQ does so much more. What format of lossless are you using?

Old 10-11-2009, 03:51 PM

Since I'm using an ipod I'm stuck converting my FLAC audio files into ALAC, which is apple's equivalent of FLAC. Everyone says there is no loss in converting it, and I can't hear the difference with my HD650 headphones. But until I can get my imprint I'm stuck using the ipod's built-in decoder, which isn't horrible but there is room for improvement. My HU has nothing at all built-in, all I have are four high pass settings, no low pass for the sub output, and I can adjust the center frequency of the bass and treble, and nothing else. For anything more advanced I have to get the imprint add on. Oh well at least it isn't too expensive, I've just had a lot of things come up lately and I keep putting it off. I hope to get it before, but it may end up just being my Christmas present to myself.

How much did the kick panel kit cost you? I don't why but I remember reading somewhere I would have to modify them to work in my 06. So I figured if I was going to go that route, I would just glass my own but that's a project I would spend weeks working on. I'd really like to get my mid bass in the kicks and install a 6.5" W3 for a woofer in my doors, should be able to get them to fit with a bit of work to the door panel.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:02 AM
Newest Of Newbies

what are you trying to do with just one W7. i bet head to head my RE would whip that. and an RE is like half the cost.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:52 AM

Wow, comments like that really show your ignorance. Your RE sub must be one of the lower three models, as their top models don't come in 10". The W7 is on the same level as the MX series (cost wise), actually leaps and bounds ahead of it from an acoustics standpoint. RE subs are SPL subs, JL subs aren't the loudest but arguably the best sounding. When how many dB's you hit is more important than acoustics, your just trying to show off and have absolutely no appreciation for sound. I mean really, your spending thousands of dollars on nothing more than a p*zzing contest. Not to mention it's silly how your going after your SPL goal with four small drivers, two larger drivers would be much more efficient. Would love to hear you argue more drivers are better, so please have at it...

Last edited by t00fatt; 10-22-2009 at 03:00 AM.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:17 AM
19Accord97
Unregistered

*eyes open excitedly waiting for the reply*

Old 10-22-2009, 08:51 AM

what are you trying to do with just one W7. i bet head to head my RE would whip that. and an RE is like half the cost.
People like you who can't read just need to get lit the f*** up on here with replys like that. But i'll understand if you can't read or comprehend the thread. Its ok. It will take time. Nice work t00fatt. By the way, just started the sub box this last weekend.

Quick Reply: Am I Finishing My Stereo Project?!