Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Amp problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 10:17 AM
Default Amp problem

I recently parked my car for two weeks and when I went to drive it again my speakers didn't work. They are amped by a four channel kicker and my subs are still working off the other amp. I've checked all connections all fuses the setting on the amp and deck. And the amp has power. Also when you turn it up loud the speakers play faintly. I feel like I've tried everything can someone please help.

Old 02-07-2009, 12:58 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Ok that sounds to me like bad RCA or a bad RCA connection. Get behind the HU and make sure the RCAs are night and tight. If they have solid connection at both ends, the wire may be bad. Try using a different RCA to see if that solves the problem.

And when your turn it up, all the speakers play faintly equally or what?

There is no moisture around your amp is it? Has it been extremely cold where you are at? Extreme temps can do some crazy things.

Old 02-07-2009, 03:16 PM

Yes it has been extremely cold here. I did check the connections behind the deck and all is well. Haven't checked the RCA wire yet but that sounds like a good idea thanks alot. The speakers are all playing equally btw

Old 02-07-2009, 04:18 PM

If you have an ipod or similar with a RCA to headphone cable. Go and plug the ipod directly into the amp, have the volume at minimum and increase it until you hear music. If your speakers play like normal, then its the signal to the amp. If that doesn't work then there is either something wrong with the amp or the speaker wiring.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:57 PM

Checked the RCA with a new one and still nothing however will still play if cranked

Old 02-07-2009, 10:37 PM

Ok so that narrows it down to the amp. Your gain is not at minimum correct? Try switching the crossover switch to full or HP depending on what it is on now. Have it playing when you move the switch, if the full sound comes back then that switch is bad. On my boat I had one of those switches rust out on me. I really doubt this is your problem, but it is something to check.

Double and triple check your speaker wire. I can't really think of anything else but if I do I'll chime in. If everything is correct then I think the cold killed your amp, sorry.

Old 02-08-2009, 03:49 AM

Dammit how is this possible? My other amp is fine. This is really frustrating since the amp was very expensive and high quality. Is it because its kicker

Old 02-08-2009, 11:43 AM

Take an old or extra speaker you have lying around, unhook all the other speakers to that amp and using new speaker wire, hook it up to the amp. Dont install it in anything, just hold it in your hands. If it plays fine then its a problem in the speaker wiring. Hook up the other speakers one by one til the sound cuts out and youll know where the snag is.

Old 02-08-2009, 11:49 AM

It's not because it is kicker, I've had kicker amps for 5 years and never had one fail on me. If your amp is dead it's because the extreme cold. Try running a new speaker with a new wire like macleod said. Honestly since it's all four speakers, I doubt that's it but it worth a shot. Good luck!

Old 02-08-2009, 01:11 PM

It could be. One speaker lead could be shorting to ground and that could shut down the sound. It could even cut out all the sound without putting the amp into protect. I found out the hard way after digging around for hours trying to figure out why my amp wasnt working when I found a negative lead off one speaker was disconnected and touching bare metal. Ugh. Nothing like episodes like that to shave a few years off your life.

Quick Reply: Amp problem