Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Audio Display Died, Replace Unit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 08:37 PM
Question Audio Display Died, Replace Unit?

Hello Honda Accord Forums,

My audio display went out a few weeks ago right before I went on vacation. I have the extended warranty and know about the campaign but unfortunately, my baby car is 7 years and 3 months old now and isn't covered by the warranty. I called Honda customer care to ask if they could cover it anyway and I was shot down.

I have an appointment to replace the PCB on Thursday and they gave me a quote of $366.50 for parts, labor and tax.

I'm rather hesitant to spend that much to repair the display. If decided to get say an HD-radio or a newer unit that had a hook up for my iPod, would that resolve the problem? I would rather spend $400-$600 to get a new radio system than $350+ to repair.

Thanks very much for any help.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:01 PM
Super Moderator

so you have a 2003 Accord? are your climate controls integrated into the radio?

2003+ most people just add an aftermarket radio in the pocket beneath the factory radio. Metra and Scoche sell kits for just that.

Then you can just buy a wiring harness adapter from Metra or Scoche and power the factory speakers from the new aftermarket head unit.

the aftermarket head unit can give you lots of features the OEM cannot, like ipod, sat radio, HD radio, bluetooth, USB, etc. no way would i pay that much to repair an OEM radio.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:17 PM

Oh yes, I have a 2003 Accord. My main problem is that the buttons don't light up at night anymore so I can't read the buttons. It's quite annoying.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:19 AM
Super Moderator

buttons just have lamps behind them that are replaceable.

look on hondapartsdeals.com for replacement parts for your car at roughly dealer cost.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:08 AM

Thank you for your help but the lamps are fine. It's a defective printed circuit board. They had a bulletin board. I'm thinking about getting a new aftermarket unit because it's silly to repair this thing. I think I need to replace the audio entirely but I'll do more research after work today.

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/at...achmentid=7096

Old 07-28-2010, 10:22 PM
Super Moderator

so the display and the buttons are all dead, and it's a PCB issue, so you can pay $366 to repair it, or less than that to add an aftermarket below it.

sorry, you first said display, then you added buttons later that sounded like it was isolated from the display. i understand now.

however, you still won't have climate control, correct? so you kind of need the PCB fixed regardless of the stereo?

Old 07-29-2010, 10:05 PM

I think you're right. I don't know anything about cars and I didn't realize the climate controls were integrated with the radio. I'll get the PCB repaired and call Honda Customer Service and see if they will give me any sort of break. I'm just 3 months out of the extended warranty period.

I found this kit on autotoys that has after market climate controls but the reviews are only so-so.
http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.php?productid=164

Old 07-31-2010, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator

nice kit, but doesn't the climate control display on the radio screen? this kit won't give you that visual display (but you'll still have controls). note the dual zone limitation - a different kit would be needed for that.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:55 AM

Perhaps on the newer models. My screen shows me the time (I miss that alot) and radio station. I don't have anything temperature related. I want the ***** and buttons to light up at night so I can see them.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:13 AM
Super Moderator

i understand the disire to have illuminated ***** and buttons. i'd need to see the back of the trim piece to offer any additional advice on servicing it.

are you absolutely sure you don't have a blown fuse somewhere?

if you don't have a climate control display, then the aftermarket kit you linked would probably work fine. Then you could put in an aftermarket radio that could give you additional options (a clock is standard on new head units). then you can get HD radio, ipod, etc. along with better sound quality from the factory speakers.

Quick Reply: Audio Display Died, Replace Unit?