Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Car Computer 7th gen

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 12:59 AM
omega
Unregistered
Default Car Computer 7th gen

I plan on modding my 03 Accord's (v6 m/t) Navi to hook up to a computer in the trunk. Not sure how difficult this may be seeing as how i have yet to take it all apart but I want to make it so it connects through a switch where I can go back and forth from the navi screen to the computer.

I was just wondering if anyone knows which wires control the touch screen and video.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:03 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Umm unless there is an expensive interface or your an electrical engineer this just a pipe dream sorry.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:05 AM

hahaha i would love to see this.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:05 AM
omega
Unregistered

lol well I am actually studying to be an electrical engineer

Old 02-25-2009, 01:09 AM

well do this post pics, dont tell any one how you did it, and then charge people to do so... perfect for this "economy"

Old 02-25-2009, 01:11 AM

Why do I doubt that? How could you for a second think it is possible to control a PC over USB or even serial by tapping into some wires? Do you have the slightest idea how a monitor setup for a carputer communicates to the PC? You can't be older than 21

Old 02-25-2009, 01:31 AM
omega
Unregistered

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_...r_serial_ports

It obviously will not be just "tapping" into some wires and would most likely require taking apart the navigation system and soldering to the main connectors inside of the unit.

I know quite a bit when it comes to computers and wiring. My only problem with this specific application is I have no idea what the outputs/inputs are for what I need and I don't have the money to fiddle with it and break it.

Last edited by omega; 02-25-2009 at 01:53 AM.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:12 AM

If you knew so much, you would know you would have to build and program your own interface. You would have to REVERSE ENGINEER the navi unit, figure out the protocol it uses for the touchscreen, then build and program your own interface to interlace between the navi and the PC. Without that there is no way for the PC to understand the navi unit. And I just made it sound easy..... Look dude, search for a user named jhowkins an you will see that he has spent years reverse engineering the navi unit to do do something similar to this, and guess what he actually knows what he is doing. He didn't have to come on here and ask a retarded question, and he has been working on that for a couple years now. For all I know he may have even gave up as he hasn't been here a long time. I'm only giving you a hard time because this is so ridiculous and your just completely disregarding what I'm saying, and that's a bit frustrating when I'm trying to baby feed you an answer and you won't take it. That's a bit ignorant isn't it? Don't worry your not the first, nor the last....

Old 05-02-2009, 06:31 PM
omega
Unregistered

Still not possible? Pipe dream?

Done on a friends Acura... mine is next.

2 videos.

Link 5mb

Link 10mb

Old 05-02-2009, 06:45 PM

cool, im sure in costs a shiney nickle.

Quick Reply: Car Computer 7th gen