Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

connecting lights

Old 12-26-2007, 06:11 PM
Default connecting lights

what i want to do is put neon light tubes under each side of my dash, only problem is i only want them to turn on when the headlights are on. where do i connect the wires so that it works out like this?

Old 12-27-2007, 10:17 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: connecting lights

Just a comment I'd like to throw out there...

I too have wondered what the BEST way to wire things up in a car, specifically for instances that you want synchronized power with the headlights.

IE, what's the cleanest and most secure way of doing this without just tapping into a wire?
I've often considered getting a second fusebox and tie a portion of it to the fuse section of the headlight fuses.

I'd like if someone with perfectionist qualities to elaborate on their techniques/approaches.

Old 12-27-2007, 04:17 PM

If you want to do this the "professional" prefectionistic way I'd suggest getting a fuse box and mount it somewhere, then run a power wire off the other fuse box (off the headlight fuse itself) to your new one. Next, wire your lights in parallel so you can run one fuse but if one burns out the other will still work. Finally, I'd mount a switch under the dash that allows you to turn them off when the headlights are on. Some cops get a little bent out of shape by then and if you got pulled over, having them off may help. Additionaly, when you do all this solder all your connections and wrap them with some heat shrink tubing so they are nice and clean

Old 12-27-2007, 10:32 PM

If your looking for an easy DIY...Read on.

Basically what I did was just pull back my center dash and where my AC Plug is (cig lighter)....I found where the wires that lead to the LED light (The little ring around the lighter then glows.) Then strip back the wires connect them, so when ever you turn your headlights all the way on they come on. They wont come on otherwise - not even park lights

Ive actually used this in two cars - my girlfriend 96 Honda accord, i used it for LED light bars for her feet (blue) and for my car i hooked up Car black lights under my passenger seat and at my feet. This method has shown no problems for me, Ever.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:39 PM
Administrator

There you go! 2 excellent answers for you two to take and fix your rides wireing system...

WheelBrokerAng [sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 12-30-2007, 12:03 AM

thanks,
but where would i locate the fuse for the headlights at.. which one out of the many. and where would i find a fuse box?

Old 01-02-2008, 05:22 PM

Joseph: Nice lead to use .... never thought of that.

1 point that everyone is missing here ..... THE RELAY!!!! Use the wires mentioned to get the signal and wire in a relay so your installation can't screw up the stock wiring in the car! Then use a direct power lead from the battery or a fuse box that is designated for aftermarket electronics.

Old 01-02-2008, 06:48 PM

i was going to put a switch in with mine, but i never saw a purpose because the only time im going to use them is at night, and my lights have on an off switches build into them, so i just said f-it

Old 01-03-2008, 10:21 AM

so Joseph .... if you dim your interior lights will the LED's go out??? Like if you get pulled over.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:05 PM

Well they arent illeagle here and not anywhere i dont think - because it lights up your feet, you dont really look at your feet while your driving.

What i would do if i got pulled over and was concerned about it though. is just turn off my lights....nota big deal i dont think lol.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: connecting lights

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.