Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

dash lights not working

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 11:39 AM
Default Dash lights not working

New member here.
Let me jump in on this thread. I just bought a 2000 Accord LX V6. The previous owner installed an aftermarket radio. Since then, the dash lights don't work. He put in some of those strip lights with the sticky backing and plugged them into the cig lighter for power. (I don't know how he could drive like that, they're so bright you could perform brain surgery under them)

Several forums address this question. Most suggest that the radio installation may be to blame, and others cite a multiplex unit. Our closest local Honda Dealer, Lia Group, (don't get warm fuzzies talking to them) claims that the forums are wrong and that radio or multiplex have nothing to do with it. They want me to bring it in for diagnosis. I'm seeing $$$ here.

On the bright side, I have the original radio, and another local dealer, Mohawk Honda, (they're much better to do business with but farther away) says they'll take out the aftermarket radio (which is a colossal pain to operate anyway) install the original for $93.

Anyone have any thoughts that might help?

Thank you all so much
Rik

Last edited by keep_hope_alive; 06-13-2011 at 08:38 PM. Reason: no email or last name for your safety
Old 06-13-2011, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator

email sent

Old 11-28-2011, 05:17 AM
Default Help!!

ok... i have a 1999 honda accord v6, and im having the exact same problem!! ive looked alot of places and this is the only place ive seen that actually has the same problem. i put in an aftermarket cd/dvd player in, and the whole dash went out. what wire needs to be connected in order for the dash to light up, because it wont light up, nor will the a/c lights clock lights etc..but yet the seatbelt turns on when its not buckled. also when i have my headlights on, the clock a/c and shift indicator lights work, but the moment i turn them on, they all shut off... its lame! someone please help

Old 11-29-2011, 09:23 PM
Super Moderator

when you installed the aftermarket unit, you connected the orange or orange/white wire incorrectly and shorted out the dash lights.

disconnect that wire, replace the fuse, and you'll be back in business.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:37 AM
Default 2000 Accord - dashboard help

Hi, looking for some help in a similar vein - 2000 Accord EX V6 dashboard gauge lighting has gone out. Warning lights and the P-R-N-D lights still work fine, but all gauges are completely dark when the headlights are on.

I tried fiddling with the dimmer switch and it still seems to be functioning, as I can still dim and brighten the gear selection lights. I haven't installed any new electronics in the car anytime recently. I have also read about multiplexer controllers failing in these cars - would warning lamps / P-R-N-D still work if that had failed? I used to be able to make the lights flicker back on by beating around on the top of the dash, but no more - this is making me think there may be a loose ground or some main switch with a loose wire. Anywhere I can start looking under the dash for something like this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Cobra652004
Hi, looking for some help in a similar vein - 2000 Accord EX V6 dashboard gauge lighting has gone out. Warning lights and the P-R-N-D lights still work fine, but all gauges are completely dark when the headlights are on.

I tried fiddling with the dimmer switch and it still seems to be functioning, as I can still dim and brighten the gear selection lights. I haven't installed any new electronics in the car anytime recently. I have also read about multiplexer controllers failing in these cars - would warning lamps / P-R-N-D still work if that had failed? I used to be able to make the lights flicker back on by beating around on the top of the dash, but no more - this is making me think there may be a loose ground or some main switch with a loose wire. Anywhere I can start looking under the dash for something like this?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Check the No. 9 (7.5A) fuse first, located in the driver side fuse box.

Attached Thumbnails dash lights not working-instrument-panel-fuse.jpg  
Old 07-03-2012, 11:02 AM

Hi redbull, double checked no. 9 fuse and it's fine. I'm thinking it's got to be some kind of loose wire given it's intermittent failures to start with. Is there a central gauge lighting switch or anything behind the gauge cluster?

Originally Posted by redbull-1
Check the No. 9 (7.5A) fuse first, located in the driver side fuse box.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

If fuse is good, then check Ground connection G401. If no change, then if you have a multimeter, test the resistance (ohms) of the dimmer switch.

Pics. are attached.

Attached Thumbnails dash lights not working-ground-g401.jpg   dash lights not working-2000-accord-instrument-panel-removal.jpg   dash lights not working-2000-accord-gauge-assembly-replacement.jpg   dash lights not working-2000-accord-dimmer-swich-test.jpg  

Last edited by redbull-1; 07-03-2012 at 11:36 AM.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:29 AM

OK, checked out the dimmer switch which shows 0-20,000 ohms on the multimeter. I also looked at all of the pins/connectors/wires for any signs of damage or corrosion and everything behind the gauges looked perfect. Each of the bulbs looked good, and there were no signs anywhere on the circuit card or wires of any kind of short/burning/etc. Any other ideas? If the multiplexer had failed, would I still have PRND and idiot lights on the dash? Is there another master lighting switch somewhere that could have failed? Thanks again in advance.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator

So, the ground connection (G401) was checked?

Yes, it may be a faulty driver's side Multiplex Control Unit. Certain indicator lamps may still light up even if the lighting for the gauges do not work.

There is no other master lighting switch.

This link is the recall for certain Accord V6. However, even if your car was not on the VIN list, it may be a faulty Multiplex Control Unit.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/th...hts_recall.pdf

Quick Reply: dash lights not working