Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Dome Light

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 07:32 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Dome Light

I have a question about the dome light in my car. I have a 99 Accord, EX sedan, 5 spd, 4 cyl. The problem is, when I open any of the doors on the car, the dome light does not come on automatically. The lights on each individual door will come on, but the dome light will not. Does anyone have a possible solution to what might be causing this to happen? The dome lights will work manually if I press the button on either one of the dome light buttons, and will turn off manually when I press again to turn off. Thanks in advance to any help.

Old 10-30-2011, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator

Could be the safety indicator PCB, don't see that much on the 99's with factory alarms.......can you check for ground in the light housing when the door is open.

Edit: the attached can from another member a while back....close. Where I was going, but yours should have had a factory alarm system.

Attached Thumbnails Dome Light-no-ceiling-light.jpg  

Last edited by poorman212; 10-30-2011 at 12:09 PM.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:46 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Yes, as far as I can tell, the car has just the factory alarm setting. The stock stereo has an alarm light that with light up, and the drivers side door has a small light that lights up when the car is locked. I do believe this to be a factory setup system. Also, side note, when opening the doors with no key in the ignition, the dash board is not lit up either. Not sure if it is related or if it is supposed to come on, but it does not, however, if I put the key in the ignition and turn it on, then the dash board is working fine, and the door indicator will light up if a door is opened, but the dome light still will not work with just the door opening.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:18 PM
Super Moderator

Did you check the position of the dome light switch? It has three settings. Auto,off on

Old 10-31-2011, 10:02 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Well this might sound like a stupid question, but where is the light switch? All I see on the lights, are the two buttons to press to turn them on individually.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:10 PM
Senior Member Stereo Guru..Almost A Mod :)

KHA is reffering to the rear light. is that the one you are talking about or are you talking about the ones in the front. will they not come on if you push to turn them on either or only when you open the door they dont come on. try other doors and see if they come on.

Old 11-01-2011, 05:16 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Well the ones in the front come on if I push them, like on demand if you will. I want them to come on automatically when I open the door for the first time in the morning, and shut off when the door shuts. Like I said the door lights come on, the lights are near the bottom of the door, but there is no dome light. I don't think that I have a back dome light either, but I will check.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:44 PM
Senior Member Stereo Guru..Almost A Mod :)

try doors other than your driver door and see if it comes on

Old 11-02-2011, 04:56 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I have already tried all the doors, the light does not come on at all with any of them. Is there a possible fuse that is blown, or a switch that I am not familiar with? I know that from the factory, when you open the door, the dome light should light up just like every other car that I have owned, so there has to be something missing or blown that I am not seeing.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:08 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Well everyone, I am sorry for wasting all of your time with this topic. I just looked up at the roof behind the sunroof, and guess what I saw? Yup that's right, the other dome light, with a switch in the middle set to................ OFF. Now it's set to the middle and it works when the door opens. I am so sorry guys, I just bought the car and I guess that I need to pay more attention to detail. Thanks for all the input.

Quick Reply: Dome Light