Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Engine noise through the speakers

Old 05-12-2009, 06:57 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

You have to sand the paint off to really get a good ground there. The bad ground could also be at the headunit, try making a fresh new ground for the HU. Not sure about this one, just a guess but if you have a bad ground from the battery to the body I would imagine it could also cause alternator whine. Also your amp power wires aren't the only ones, there may be some nice sized power lines near your RCAs at some point inducing the whine. Could also be the RCA's themselves, alternator whine can be a serious chore to pin point. If all else fails you can try a ground loop isolator, but this is more of a band aid than a solution. Good luck.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:44 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Yeah that's an easy way to pin point it to the RCA's, most of the time it is caused by the RCA's. I've even heard of RCA's themselves picking up alternator whine, so I would just try another pair, will also save you from having to reroute the RCA's just to test.