Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Extra Wires on Harness 99 EX ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 02:13 PM
Default Extra Wires on Harness 99 EX ?

Got a problem the factory radio was stolen out of this car and the original harness was just cut off. I'm planning on putting in a aftermarket deck. I've bought a replacement end for the cars harness that would go to a factory radio. The schematic that i got online for the wires matches perfectly except i still have three wires left on the cars harness side and none on the plug end.
The three wires are a red w/ one silver dash, a black w/ two silver dashes and a blue w/ two silver dashes. Anybody know what these are suppose to go to. I Don't have any dash lights so i'm thinking these have something to do with it.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

Not sure if this might help

Attached Thumbnails Extra Wires on Harness 99 EX ?-6th-gen-radio-wires.jpg  
Old 02-24-2012, 07:38 AM

Thanks Poor Man: This explains the extra wires perfectly. Now the next question is the multiplex wire (red) where would this connect on a radio or do i leave it unconnected? I'm thinking i will have to leave the security wires taped off. Is the multiplex part of the dash light loop?

Old 02-25-2012, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator

If it is an aftermarket radio, tape it off as well......but I'll be honest and say that I have never done this on this gen.

Maybe if I move this to the audio/visual section, KHA will chime in and let us know for sure

Old 02-25-2012, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

My manual says the Red wire is illumination control (-).

I didn't use it either

Old 02-26-2012, 07:13 AM

Thanks for the response K-H-A there is a dimmer wire on the factory harness also so is that the (+) one and do i leave that disconnected then also? According to the wiring schematic there is a 12v constant , a12v ignition and a dimmer power. Then this extra red one with the one gray dash mark that is listed as multi plex in? I just don't want to wire something up bad. Want to get my dash lights working and this harness seems to be the problem.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:35 PM

Poorman212 - Do you have one for the 7th gen..someone cut my harness and don't know what is what because the harness at Best Buy colors don't match up. Thanks.

Old 03-03-2012, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator

I'll see what I can dig up......Does this have the climate control?

Old 03-03-2012, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ZR Nut
Thanks for the response K-H-A there is a dimmer wire on the factory harness also so is that the (+) one and do i leave that disconnected then also? According to the wiring schematic there is a 12v constant , a12v ignition and a dimmer power. Then this extra red one with the one gray dash mark that is listed as multi plex in? I just don't want to wire something up bad. Want to get my dash lights working and this harness seems to be the problem.
in general, just leave the factory illumination wires disconnected and taped off. then you won't mess with the dash illumination.

Old 03-04-2012, 05:31 PM

Thanks. I found it on a different website

Quick Reply: Extra Wires on Harness 99 EX ?