Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Help with AUX for 2007 accord

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 05:55 PM
Default Help with AUX for 2007 accord

Hi everyone, I'm new to these forums and I really need some help.

I have a 2007 Honda accord, fully loaded and it has an AUX/CD button. There is no were i can plug in my MP3 in though. Is there anything I can buy for my cigarette lighter that I can plug any mp3 player into? If anyone knows it would be much appreciated. I've looked everywhere! I want to plug in my phone or friends phones/mp3s/ipods for music. I don't want an iPod specific one though and there are no plugs anywhere other than the cigarette lighter.

Thanks in advance!

btw, i wasn't sure if I was supposed to post this topic here or in the Audio/Electronics section... sorry if i made the wrong choice

Last edited by apollo96; 08-12-2010 at 06:05 PM.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator

You may have better luck in the audio forum, so I'll move this post.

If you have a cd/aux, then there may be an adapter that you can plug into the back of the head unit?

I am not very familiar with the 07 setup.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
You may have better luck in the audio forum, so I'll move this post.

If you have a cd/aux, then there may be an adapter that you can plug into the back of the head unit?

I am not very familiar with the 07 setup.
Alright thank you! I've looked everywhere... for some reason there's no plug... Im assuming I need something for the cigarette lighter?

Old 08-13-2010, 03:56 PM

I have a Aux and Ipod solution I just installed this week in my 2003 Accord. I have a 6 disc CD with the "Cd / Aux" button. The 2003 didn't have XM, but it still has the same port on the OEM radio.

What I used (and there are other options), was a Grom Audio USB2-HON1. I chose this because I wanted Ipod sometimes, and then Aux input for GPS and flexibility other times. In addition it also has a USB input for any USB drives (you just have to create a file structure).

I added on an Ipod cable so I can go to next song using the steering wheel controls. On/off pauses the ipod. You can also fast forward using the on dash controls. (Switching between inputs is easy as well, you just have to only have ONE external item hooked up at a time or they'll conflict).

http://www.gromaudio.com/store/usb_a...interface.html

This same hardware should work for the 2007 as well.

The installation is amazingly simple. You need a phillips and flathead screwdriver and you can do it. Great picture step by step here:
http://www.beaufordbuddy.com/ipod_install_1.htm

Only downside I've had so far is a Ground Loop "hum" or noise when I use the Aux (3.5mm) input and have something charging through the cigarette lighter. This happens only when (my Droid X using GPS or Music) is charging. When I remove the cable from the phone, it goes away immediately.

I haven't worked on grounding the cigarette adapter different yet, due to time constraints. I know of "Ground Loop Isolators", but I want to stay away from them due to muffling. The solution is to ground to the same location as the Head Unit, but I haven't determined where that ground is, or the best method to ground it yet. Any input would be appreciated to solve this.

There is no hum with the Ipod since it connects and charges directly from the head unit. Also, I tried a test using the USB to the phone and there is no hum / noise while it charges in various modes and is playing through Aux (3.5mm).

I hope that answers your question, and maybe I can get some help getting rid of the Ground Loop hum so you can avoid that issue ahead of time.

Old 08-13-2010, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator

you need an aux input solution for OEM Honda head units. Pac-Audio, USAspec, Axxess, etc. all have these products. You can get ipod specific or generic 3.5mm input though.

The cigarette lighter will only power the unit, it won't work for transferring the audio. there are some products that use a wireless FM modulator to give the factory head unit the audio signal by simply tuning the factory radio to the corresponding FM frequency. however, these are noisy and sound very poor.

an OEM interface that uses the CD/AUX input is what you really want. note that you will need to install the interface and route the 3.5mm cable to an accessible location. there are two popular options.

1. locate the interface box behind the factory head unit in the dash and route the 3.5mm cable to the glove box.
2. locate the interface box under the center console and route the 3.5mm cable to the center console storage area

which one depends on your preferred location for the player.

start by vising pac-audio.com or USAspec websites, enter your vehicle information, and view the associated products. most will come with mating wire hanesses so no wire cutting is required.

if noise is encounted when plugging in other devices into a cigarette lighter, a noise filter on the cigarette lighter power and ground is recommended. treat the noise at the source.

let me know if you have any other questions or problems finding the products.

Old 08-13-2010, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator

That GROM product looks VERY nice. I like the USB capability for hard drive connectivity.

if you put the noise filter on the cigarette lighter power it will work just the same as putting it on the radio power. either way, no audio muting or filtering should occur since you are treating the DC power and not the audio cabling. The noise is riding on the DC power lines anyway, and getting through the power supplies on the factory radio and interface. another option may be simply adding a large capactor and diode on the interface power wire, to help smooth out the DC ripple and filter out any noise.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:20 PM

thanks for the recommendation on the power treatment / noise filter. I was scratching my head trying thinking of ways to cut the current ground and rewire it somewhere else.

Do you have any example products you could recommend?

Old 08-13-2010, 08:22 PM
Super Moderator

David Navone has a nice line of products, that are well made and well designed.

http://www.davidnavone.com/cart.asp?24&cat=2

I would contact him regarding which product would be best for your application.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:10 PM
Default GROM USB adapter for Honda

I am thinking about purchasing GROM USB unit for my Accord. I love USB feature since I have a lot of MP3s. And I also have iPhone too, so it is nice to be able to charge it and sometimes play.
The company (GROM Audio) also has iPod and AUX adapters only (no USB), but I think that the USB feature is really cool.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:15 PM

This might be a stupid question but does XM plug into an AUX in the back by any chance. If that's the case I'd like to just unplug the XM and run a 3.5mm cable through to the console.

Quick Reply: Help with AUX for 2007 accord