Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

help hooking up stock radio to amp

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 01:30 PM
petez1lla
Unregistered
Default help hooking up stock radio to amp

can anyone tell me how to hook up the amp to my stock head unit, i have all the nececary wires i just need to know what wiresto connect the rca converter to the back of thehead unit. i have a 2004 coupe 4 banger stock. also i need to know where to hook up the remote wire for the amp. thanks guys

Old 10-31-2007, 02:18 PM
Almost A Senior Member
Default RE: help hooking up stock radio to amp

First you'll need to run a power and a ground...then find an empty spot in the fuse panel under the dash to hook the remote to. I used a little spade (one that looks like the fuses)connector to plug in...make sure the spot you use turns on and off with the car so you're not running power to the amp all the time. then you need to splice into the leads for the rear speakers. I just disconnected themso all the sound goes to the sub...I have an adjustable rca convertor so I can fine tune the sound that goes into the amp...I would suggest using one like that. let me know if you have any other questions

Old 11-01-2007, 10:00 AM
petez1lla
Unregistered

so then i hook up the rca converter to the rear speaker wires? do you know what color the wiresare and where they are located? thanks for the help guys and being passiant with me still a bit of a newb

Old 11-01-2007, 12:41 PM
Almost A Senior Member

They are attached to the speakers in the rear deck. you get to the wires from the trunk...blue and white to the left speaker, the one with the black stripe is the ground. On the right there is apink one and a blue one with yellow stripes. blue and yellow is the ground. The wires are in wire looms and run directly into the speakers and have little plugs attached to them.I cut the plugs off and spliced some wireonto that and and ran to the RCA adaptor...withmy 15" kicker you wouldnt be able to hear the rear speakers anyway, and i didnt lose any sound really besides....Ive got theEQ set to plus 2 for the treble andminus1 for the bass. Idont turn the volume up past 34 or 35 either...

Old 11-01-2007, 12:48 PM
Almost A Senior Member

You dont want to run an exaggerated frequency to the amp...minimize the amp input (minus 1 for the bass setting)you dont want to amplify a bad frequency. when you tune the amp you'll be tuninga less distorted sound. and have less of a chance of clipping and frying your subs...is your rca adaptoradjustable? When you tune, set the head unit to those setting i mentioned and turn up to 34...turn thebass boost and that crap off on the amp. turnlowpass filter on, if you have one...slowly turn up the gain until you hear the subs "peaking"you'll be able to tell...the sound will be nice and clear until it peaks and gets distorted...I put my ear directly over the cone of the sub and listen for little pops from the cone extending too much....when you hear that turn the amp back 1/8th of a turn....make sure the popping isnt happening....also use a song that you know beats....like the loudest bass you can find...so that will be your absolute maximum and everything will fall below that...let me know if you got any more Q's..

Old 11-01-2007, 01:00 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: bssmagik83
...also use a song that you know beats....like the loudest bass you can find...
aka - Beastie Boys: Paul Revere, Foxy Brown: I'll Be, Bass Mechaniks: Lock on Target, Kottonmouth Kings: Bump, etc.

actually anything by Bass Mechaniks

Old 11-01-2007, 03:10 PM
Almost A Senior Member

ehhh even with my 15" bass mechaniks is sketchy at times...That ish varies in frequency too much...the new UGK cd is a really good one to test with...

What kind of subs are you putting in?

(for those of you who care, this post put meup to200[sm=happy046.gif][sm=wootwoot.gif])

Old 11-01-2007, 03:14 PM

subs ---- me or pete?

I plan to make a box to replace the rear armrest with an 8" L7

Old 11-01-2007, 03:30 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Pete....my bad, shoulda been more clear

ORIGINAL: falkore24

I plan to make a box to replace the rear armrest with an 8" L7
Are you gonna put it in between the seats, like where it goes when you fold the armrest up? I guess I havent seen the arm rest in a 4 door...

If so that will be real nice...Put 2 in there back to back. one facing the cab and one facing in the trunk

Old 11-01-2007, 04:24 PM

ORIGINAL: bssmagik83

Are you gonna put it in between the seats, like where it goes when you fold the armrest up?
That's the plan ..... not going to do 2 ..... way too much power, also I think that there's just enough space for a single sealed box. With 2 back to back, they could cancel some of the sound from each other ..... I'm too lazy to do the calcs to set that up, especially since 1 is really more power than I'd prefer. It should come out clean .... I plan to make it from MDF and probably fiberglass the corners where the armrest bolts in. Then probably some wood filler and a polyurethane sealing layer to make it rigid and seamless inside.

Quick Reply: help hooking up stock radio to amp