Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

HID recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: HID recommendations?

well i've had the low beams for over a year no problem.

Old 12-03-2008, 03:55 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I never put one on my accord ..... maybe you'll get rid of yours too before there-s an issue, maybe not. It's good insurance and the cheapest that you will find. Speaking of insurance, where the heck is Jon (Big Papa aka. 00accordlx5spd).

Old 12-03-2008, 03:56 PM

Probably being a dad and husband... if so good for him! If he's not.... he needs to get his @$$ on here!

Old 12-03-2008, 04:22 PM

Wait falk, why would a separate relay save your headlight switch? Do you have the power source on the relay hooked up to a switched source? So you don't have to turn the headlight switch off? I'm sure your not talking about the load hurting the switch, doesn't the car already have a relay for the headlights? I installed the relay because it came with my kit, but I don't see how it can save the headlight switch, unless you just don't use it. My HIDs are 35w, which is less than halogens, so even if I had them wired to the original headlight circuit it wouldn't put any extra load on it.

Old 12-03-2008, 04:46 PM

Yeah, there is a relay for the headlights, but it can't handle the voltage spike of the HIDs forever. That what's the relay is for. With the relay harness installed, when you flip the headlight switch, it signals the relay to close and then the HIDs draw power right from the battery, bypassing all of the car electronics. Your HIDs are 35W operating power, to ignite those HIDs it takes much more.

Old 12-03-2008, 04:52 PM

But the ignition is for a fraction of second, how many amps does it draw during ignition? It can't be any crazy numbers. Lol now I'm going to get stoned, wander into the garage and find out. Oh and I know how relays work lol

EDIT: Oh and from what your saying there is a spike in amps not voltage, and relays can take quite a bit of amerpage. Since my HIDs are 35w they are drawing about 2.5amps, so even if the ignition was 10 or 15 amps I don't think it would really hurt a nice sized relay. I don't know off the top of my head what my relay is rated for but I'm sure it's more than 25A.

Old 12-03-2008, 05:04 PM

The relay can take the spike, just not the switch. I understand your point about the OEM relays, but I've never studied the wiring diagram. All I do know is that plenty of people have burnt out the switch by not using a relay kit.

The ignition draw is about double the normal draw, if not a bit higher. Yes it's for a fraction of a second, but a million fractions of a second add up.

Old 12-03-2008, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator

I'll go down with the ship lol.

Probably switching my HIDs over to the CD5

Old 12-03-2008, 05:27 PM

My bulb blew about 3 weeks ago,and i was told that i needed a relay kit.I wonder if it blew because i didnt have one. Who knows.

Old 12-03-2008, 05:28 PM

HIR's bro!!!

Quick Reply: HID recommendations?