Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Hiss problems w/ high level Inputs. Please advise..

Old 11-04-2007, 07:51 PM
Default Hiss problems w/ high level Inputs. Please advise..

How disappointing to hook up my new DLS amp to have a constant "Hiss" sound. It happens in all channels when volume is set to 1 and up.

I understand that high level inputs are inferior to low level, but I can't believe how bad it is. Its REAL bad if I turn up the input level on the Amp. Anyway, any suggestions to fix this would be greatly appreaciated.

Layout:

06 Accord OEM HU
DLS 4 channel AMP
Using high level inputsdirectly to AMP (18 gauge)
AMP Output are using existing OEM wiring harness to speakers (18 gauge) THIS IS TEMPORARY until I install my RAAMMAT/Insolite and will install w/ proper wiring
Speakers: Polk

Notes:
- I spliced the wires a few inches away from the radio harness connector
- I have bundled the High level input with the AMP outs since it goes through the same harness by the radio(Are there any potential noise problems with this?)
- The amp is being installed under the passenger seat
- The power wire (4 gauge) is running the grommet above the brake pedal , directly runs across to the passenger side under the dash, wire runs along floor and out to passenger seat area.
- Ground is located at a seat post

While the system is running , I unhook the high level inputs, and the hiss stops, which suggests that the noise is occuring the input high level input wires.

Previous posts suggests that high level input will always hiss. Is this always true? The hiss is real bad and the stock system actually soundsbetter. And yes, the levels on the amp are turned all the way down and its still bad.

Questions:

1) Can I better run the wires to eliminate the noise. Or use a higher quality wire? I am using standard 18 gauge for the high level inputs.

2) Not interested in a new HU at this time (also not interested in a signal processor), am I forced to use a high to low converter?

3) What else can I do? What's the next best thing?

Suggestions greatly appreaciated!

[IMG]local://upfiles/12767/8BCED83DFC56499691C23952BB132E24.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/12767/6483C256D3E6473E83A250C2DD057CA7.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-04-2007, 08:42 PM
Default RE: Hiss problems w/ high level Inputs. Please advise..

If youre not wanting to buy a head unit or line driver, youre going to have to live with it.

The LOC will help but youll still have a high noise floor.

Old 11-04-2007, 09:22 PM

Macleod,

How did I know that you were going to say that! [:@]

Doing some research, I found this little guy as a possible scenario.

Have you heard good things about this unit? Ebay is selling for around $75..I can use one of the high level inputs to create two low level RCAs. The AMP has good cross-overs to adjust the signal. I'm not competing , just want some clean sound for the wife's car.

Might be a option..

[*]High quality Line Driver w/ built-in High/Low signal converter[*]Two pairs of low level (RCA) inputs and outputs[*]One pair of high level (Speaker Level) inputs[*]Independently adjustable outputs capable of 11 volts RMS[*]Allows top quality OEM/Factory integration into an aftermarket sound system[*]Frequency Response: 10Hz to 40kHz (+/-0.5dB)[*]High Level Input THD+N: < .02% @ 1kHz, 8V RMS Output[*]Low Level Input THD+N: < .0002% @ 1kHz, 8V RMS Output[*]High Level Input S/N Ratio: 106dB[*]Low Level Input S/N Ratio: 110dB
[ul][/ul]

Old 11-05-2007, 05:20 PM

there are some items that i came across on ebay that are able to stop hiss/pop sounds. i don't recall the names of them, but do a ebay search for noise filter or noise suppressor and you should find them. (not the ones that say ground loop)

Old 11-05-2007, 06:26 PM

Those probably wont work as this hiss isnt from a ground loop or a turn on pop, its just a high noise floor.

That Phoenix Gold would help a ton. It will turn the speaker inputs into RCA outputs and boost the signal to 11 volts max.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:32 PM
Administrator

The Phoenix Gold products are very high quality goods..good choice.

WheelBrokerAng [sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 11-05-2007, 09:47 PM

I have a 3sixty.1 in my truck and it works real good. So, I went ahead and bought one for the Accord. I'll let you guys know how it works out.

I also bought a set of JL components for the front doors..

I am installing the AMP under the passenger seat and would like to mount the 3sixty.1 as close as possible. Any mounting suggestions?

Thanks

Old 11-07-2007, 05:36 PM

Its a good idea to mount them as close as possible because you want your RCA's to be as short as possible. The shorter they are the less likely they are to pick up noise.

You might want to mount them both in the trunk. That way you can tap the rear speaker leads for inputs, and you can keep the amp and the 360 right next to each other and use 1.5' RCA's.

The 360 has a line driver in it as well and should raise the noise floor considerably.

Old 11-07-2007, 06:40 PM

Macleod,

Unfortunately, I don't have enough 4 gauge wire to go to the trunk. [:'(]

I am thinking of mounting the 3 sixty under the drivers seat and passing a RCA to the amp under the passenger seat. I have different length RCA cables so I can check fornoise with respect to location.

Thanks for the suggestions. You said, "The 360 has a line driver in it as well and should raise the noise floor considerably."Raising the noise floor is not a good thing, you are not suggesting that the 3sixty is worse than hooking up high levels to the AMP directly, correct?

Old 11-08-2007, 09:17 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Mac: Isn't it better to have shorter speaker leads and longer RCA's than vice versa? I thought that the speaker leads are more prone to picking up noise.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hiss problems w/ high level Inputs. Please advise..