Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   I'm a novice, will my setup work out? (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/im-novice-will-my-setup-work-out-39620/)

neophyte 04-27-2011 05:44 PM

my opinion would be to look at what the builder recomends for cubic feet and tuning and build a box to that. or if you want a different tunning then build one with a port to match that. higher the tunning higher the decibels generally speaking. but if you arent competing then you want something that sounds good so you will want a lower tunning.

use a box program and find out what your demensions should be then build one out of 3/4 mdf. they are fairly easy to build.

here is the calculator i like:
RE Enclosure Calculator

it will give you what your tunning is and it will tell you exactly what the volume is and what size you need to make your cuts.

Sgt.Mason.Willis 04-28-2011 09:51 AM

awesome. i just sold my kicker and box for a decent profit so I'm going to lowes to get some stuff to build this box.

Sgt.Mason.Willis 04-29-2011 09:01 PM

build the box yesterday. allowed it to dry and caulk to cure overnight. installed the sub in the box today and wired up my battery and ground leads. tomorrow i'm going to be routing the interconnects, hooking everything up, and reinstalling the trim once i check to make sure it works and everything is good to go. boxes are fun to build and i'm looking forward building the next one already.

neophyte 04-29-2011 09:27 PM

what are the specs on your box? just out of curiosity. i enjoy building them too. and this is going to sound dumb but you did glue all of the pieces. the glue is what really holds the boxes together. oh yeah, and titebond ftmfw.

Sgt.Mason.Willis 04-29-2011 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by neophyte (Post 239088)
what are the specs on your box? just out of curiosity. i enjoy building them too.

it is 14hx18wx10d with 3/4 mdf and double layered on the front. i definately thought it was going to be a pain but while i was doing it it almost felt like artwork. it was nothing special, but it's my first sub enclosure i've made. can't wait to actually hear the whole system! i think i might get another sheet of mdf and make a large ported enclosure just to see what it will sound like. i'll let you know how it sounds.

keep_hope_alive 04-29-2011 10:44 PM

Pics dude! We love pics!

Sgt.Mason.Willis 04-30-2011 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive (Post 239101)
Pics dude! We love pics!

haha, i'll upload some later on this morning.

Sgt.Mason.Willis 04-30-2011 01:40 PM

just finished the install and it sounds way better than i thought it would. a lot more bass than i thought it would put out haha. i'm planning on going to lowes and get some indoor outdoor carpet to finish the box off... it's built like a tank but as of right now it leaves a bit to be desired. i think carpet would finish it nicely. my wife said that she wants me to put one in her car cause it sounds so good. i mentioned the carpet to her and she said "oooh you should do leopard print".... that's what i have to deal with every day.

I'll post pics of the box before i do the carpet to show how it's built and then again after the carpet along with various other pics of the head unit and amp and whatnot.

neophyte 04-30-2011 08:01 PM

pic up some 3m spray adhesive while you are there too. it will help greatly.

here is an awesome how to:
YouTube - Carpet a speaker box

keep_hope_alive 04-30-2011 09:53 PM

Good call, I use 3M Super 77 for all my carpeting needs. Super 90 for foams.

And screw the home improvement stores indoor/outdoor carpet, it sucks to work with. I buy this stuff:
CABINET CARPET from Parts Express ship same day and come with 45 day money back guarantee. Free Shipping Available. Order free 10,000 product catalog.

AUTOMOTIVE CARPET from Parts Express ship same day and come with 45 day money back guarantee. Free Shipping Available. Order free 10,000 product catalog.

I do a lot of shopping from Parts Express and MCM Electronics. Great companies.