Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Ipad install

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 07:31 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Ipad install

This is my iPad install. I installed the iSimple and Kiwi Wifi PLX with the DashCommand App. I use the 30 pin connector for audio. It is very nice for GPS, monitoring engine diagnostics, MPG and many other things. It seems to be very accurate.

Attached Thumbnails Ipad install-img_1876.jpg   Ipad install-img_1847.jpg  
Old 01-27-2012, 10:27 PM
Newest Of Newbies

This mounting idea is VERY inexpensive. I took part of the idea from a YouTube video that some guy posted. Anyways, I used the same bar as in the video but I used a different case that's works very well. If you watch the video it explains everything. I then added the iSimple by connecting it to the stock head unit. My goal is to keep everything stock. I then plugged the PLX device into the OBD II socket and leave it there. It is wifi so you do not have to deal with any wires hich is very nice. It has an auto shutoff for the OBD II wifi and the audio when you turn the key off. When you start the car back up the music picks up where you left off. I purchased the 3G iPad 2 because of the main usage of the GPS and I also use Pandora which is a great substitute for satellite radio at a cost of zero dollars. I never have any problems with losing connection on music via pandora because it has a nice buffer. Also, the iPad surprisingly gets charged by the 30 pin cable, but ONLY when the key is off. This is also nice because it not constantly charging the iPad which can cause battery problems down the roads. Apples battery's are design to be drain then filled then repeat for optimal battery life. Hope this addition helps and if you have any more questions feel free to ask

Http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGRU7oIDE-g

Old 01-28-2012, 06:22 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

that is really really cool.

How does the ipad receive the Pandora Signal? Is it tethered to your phone?

I will watch the video you linked later today.

I do think this is the way Head Units are going to be in the near future.

My head unit (Pioneer Avic-Z2) costs me over $1,200 and has a smaller screen than an Ipad and is stuck in the dash vs being able to be used anywhere as well as of course the ipad has many other uses.

Very cool install.

Old 01-28-2012, 07:39 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by crispin
that is really really cool.

How does the ipad receive the Pandora Signal? Is it tethered to your phone?

I will watch the video you linked later today.

I do think this is the way Head Units are going to be in the near future.

My head unit (Pioneer Avic-Z2) costs me over $1,200 and has a smaller screen than an Ipad and is stuck in the dash vs being able to be used anywhere as well as of course the ipad has many other uses.

Very cool install.
The pandor signal is used by the iPad app, Pandora via 3G. You say you spent 1,200 on a head unit. I spent 600 and went this route for the exact reasons you stated. I can used it in my car then when I get out just take it with me! Also, I agree with you about the feature of head units. I think also the climate control and everything else will be just a one unit touch screen. Actually when I attended the auto show in Detroit earlier this month, this is how they are starting to do it in some vehicle! Chrysler. Amazing!

Old 01-28-2012, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for sharing, can you share the 30 pin connector you used? Thanks!

Old 01-28-2012, 05:19 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive
Thanks for sharing, can you share the 30 pin connector you used? Thanks!
Yes I can do that..... Right after my car gets outta the shop. Story is I went to Europe for a month and left my car with a friend well I guess someone took the keys and got drunk, ran a light, went through a fence and blow out the tires, then abandoned it, when I got off my flight I had to have the news that my car was impounded .... 5,800 dollars later it is still in the shop. It will be about 3 weeks more, maybe two. Soooo......I will post a pic when I get it back

Old 01-31-2012, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator

damn. you need better friends.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:47 PM
Newest Of Newbies

This setup has been working very well. I am glad I chose to use the wireless OBD II system to my iPad. I can record active gas mileage, check speed, exact engine temp, exact RPMs and many other options... and listen to pandora at the same time. I have the 3G model. I use a 30 pin and full sound comes through it, also when I turn off the car and get back in it later, the music pics up were it left off. Also it ONLY charges the iPad when the car is off and screen is locked. :-)

Old 04-30-2013, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by dvd_win
This setup has been working very well. I am glad I chose to use the wireless OBD II system to my iPad. I can record active gas mileage, check speed, exact engine temp, exact RPMs and many other options... and listen to pandora at the same time. I have the 3G model. I use a 30 pin and full sound comes through it, also when I turn off the car and get back in it later, the music pics up were it left off. Also it ONLY charges the iPad when the car is off and screen is locked. :-)
good news.

don't forget to share the adapters you used! good info!

Old 04-30-2013, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator

PLX Kiwi 2 Wifi | OBD2 OBDII iPhone

this looks like the OBD II interface. very cool!!!