Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Ipod/mp3 adapter 1995 Accord

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator
Default Ipod/mp3 adapter 1995 Accord

My 95 EX radio died. The 95 EX had the radio and cassette player as one unit. The CD player was a separate unit.

I ordered a 97 SE radio, which has the CD player as part of the radio. I don't need the cassette player, so I was going to use that AUX jack (see pic below) to hook up an adapter for my mp3 player.

I would like to make a DIY adapter that would be universal to any type of portable music players (Ipod or mp3 interface). It would also be cool if I could charge the Ipod/mp3 player as well.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to go about this?

Old 06-18-2010, 01:16 AM
Super Moderator

your low level audio inputs are Pins #4 Right channel, #5 Left channel, #2 is signal ground. You would need to take these three wires and put them on a standard stereo 3.5mm plug (available at any radio shack). i recommend you solder all of these connections. this would be compatible with the headphone out on any mp3 unit or ipod.

to charge the ipod when the car is on you will need to grab Pin #7 for +12V and Pin 8 for Ground. note that you don't know the current capability of the radio, so you don't know if it can actually charge an ipod. but considering the power draw of a CD changer, it's probably fine. you'll need to take this +12V and drop it down to the charging voltage of 5VDC. for that you'll need to modify a standard ipod cigarette lighter plug. disassemble the plug and hard wire the inputs to the wiring inside the plug (center pin is positive, outside pins are ground). this will not be compatible with a mp3 player, just an ipod. if you want an mp3 player to be charged, like one with a USB connection and internal rechargeable battery - you'll need a second cable that is a USB mini connection, with the pins properly wired. again, modify a car charger cable made for the mp3 player.

lastly, you'll obviously need a matching DIN cable plug. look on mcminone.com for the plug, or you'll have to buy a changer cable and cut it up.

instead of this hassle, you could have bought a new Alpine that did what you want and more.